7th Day ADVENTIST ABUSE SETTLEMENT WHY IMPORTANT?

by DannyHaszard 2 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Sexual abuse cases settled
    San Jose Mercury News - San Jose,CA,USA
    ... ``As a denomination,'' he said, ``we are just beginning to develop a policy as to how to deal with pedophiles in the church. . . . ...

Sexual abuse cases settled

SEVENTH-DAY ADVENTIST CHURCH TO PAY $3.5 MILLION TO CONCLUDE MONTEREY BAY ACADEMY LAWSUITS

By David L. Beck

Mercury News

The Seventh-day Adventist Church has agreed to pay $3.5 million to settle lawsuits brought by five men who say they were molested by teachers at the church's Monterey Bay Academy during the 1980s.

The church has also agreed to alter school policies to become more responsive to reports of sexual abuse.

``I refused to discuss money with them,'' said one of the victims, Michael Weston, ``until they could prove to me that radical changes in policy have been made, and that they would provide free counseling to victims of sexual abuse in their churches and schools.''

The church's Maryland attorney, Victor Elliott, confirms that has happened.

``What you had here,'' said Elliott, ``was something that went back 20 years. The circumstances of screening of teachers and supervision are not up to current-day standards.''

``Well, I sure hope so,'' said Albert Tilstra, the father of one of the victims and himself an Adventist pastor, after hearing a new set of standards had been put in place. ``Sometimes something like this needs to happen in order to wake up individuals and see what's really going on.

``As a denomination,'' he said, ``we are just beginning to develop a policy as to how to deal with pedophiles in the church. . . . It's something we have never really dealt with.''

Four of the lawsuits were brought in Los Angeles County and one in Santa Cruz County, where the exclusive school is located. Under the settlement, all five will be dismissed, with no admission of liability on the part of the church.

``We feel like justice was done,'' said Joseph Scully, attorney for the five victims. ``They weren't looking forward to a trial,'' which would have been ``difficult and painful.''

Caron Oswald, a spokesman for the Central California Conference of the Adventist Church, said in a prepared statement that the church was ``deeply saddened since we learned of these allegations'' and expressed the hope that ``these settlements will help bring closure for those involved.''

Negotiations were concluded Thursday under the aegis of a professional mediator in Los Angeles. The defendants' side included a lawyer who worked with the Catholic archdiocese of Boston, ``assisting with knowledge of case values.'' Boston paid $84 million to 552 victims of clerical abuse in 2003.

The Adventist lawsuits involved teachers and staff at the boarding school on the shores of Monterey Bay, which is part of a church-wide educational system, kindergarten through college, aimed at giving Adventist children a sound education in a protected environment.

The accusations outlined in court documents were lurid -- groping in cars off-campus, rape, liquor and drugs in the dormitories, and more. They accused two teachers: Lowell E. Nelson, 72, who taught biology; and Ronald E. Wittlake, who taught music. Nelson is retired. Wittlake left the school in 1989 and worked in the Antelope Valley Unified School District in Los Angeles County. When the accusations became public in January 2003, Wittlake shot himself to death in his Lancaster home.

Nelson continues to deny the accusations. ``Absolutely not true,'' he said in a brief telephone conversation Friday.

Weston, also the son of an Adventist pastor and like the other plaintiffs in his mid-30s, estimates he has had 42 jobs in his life as well as a brief marriage. ``I was good at whatever I've chosen to do,'' he said -- construction, property management, marketing, the film business, lifeguarding -- ``but as I get near success, that's when the fear has come in. Whenever I was happy and successful, I was afraid that something terrible was going to happen to me again . . .

``What happened to me and others was a tragedy that could easily have been prevented,'' Weston said. ``It wasn't prevented because the educational system wasn't prepared to deal with this problem.''

Documents provided to the Mercury News show those circumstances are changing. Every teacher at Monterey Bay Academy must sign a child abuse reporting policy; there are warnings about sexual abuse and harassment in the school bulletin; and ``incident report'' forms are available. The school now limits faculty and staff access to dormitories and forbids school employees from driving students off-campus alone. It includes ``display of sexually suggestive objects or pictures'' as well as jokes and comments in its definitions of proscribed conduct.

Scully said he believes such changes are ``a result of this litigation. And my clients are pleased about that. A positive thing happened out of his negative thing in their lives.''

Contact David L. Beck at [email protected] or (831) 423-0960. ---------------------------- 7th Day ADVENTIST SEX ABUSE SETTLEMENT WHY IMPORTANT? Thread topic title is a rhetorical question for reply discussion. What say you?
  • DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

The Watchtower organization also has academics and a 'school' the Theocratic Ministry School.

They told me back when i was a young pupil in the Theocratic Ministry School,that it was collegiate level.

The Watchtower also conducts school field trip exercises the door to door field service activity.

Yes,the more the deliberated Jury will compare the more they will look the same.

Judge

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I saw that!..I noticed they had several articles also about the Catholic religion and their lawsuits... I noticed too that they were spaced far apart..They should lump them all together.

I noticed another short article with the title "What words really say!"

When it comes to child abuse , the language we use can distort the reality of the crime and create a roadblock to justice. The next time you hear a news report, keep in mind what the following terms actually mean ..and the consequences of the conduct described.

They listed several examples of the justice system and how it dealt with the issue.
    One example was how a Judge spared a predatory pedophile a long prison sentence on the grounds that "It takes two to tango".
    Another one grants work release to a sex offender, declaring that the 5 year old victim was "unusually promiscuous."
    They go on to say..why is a child called a "child prostitute" instead of a "prostituted child?" The wording has a big impact. It implies that they "Volunteer" to have sex with adults in exchange for cash, (Which of course, the children never see).
    These are the words being used by the press..notice the term "Fondling"..when is actually "Sexual assault of a child". Why term incest..non- violent?..It actually injures the victim!

1) Pedophile: An individual with intense, recurrent sexually arousing fantasies and urges toward prepubescent children.Those that decide to act on those feeling are called "Predatory pedophiles." They often operate inside a child's circle of trust such as a teacher, doctor, scout leader, police officer, athletic coach, religious counselor or a child care professional.

2) Fondling: Non-penetrative sexual misconduct with a child, often resulting in severe emotional damage to the victim.

3) Molestation: Sexual assault of a child, often resulting in both physical and emotional damage.

4) Nonviolent incest:The rape by extortion of a child by a family member, creating a climate of oppression and fear in the child's daily life that inevitably results in profound long-term damages.

5) Intergenerational love:The sexual exploitation of a child under the guise of a consentual relationship. The pedophiles' perversion of the word "Love" is routinely promoted in all their literature as "Harmless" or even "Beneficial " to the victim.

6) Child prostitute: A child often held captive against his or her will, who is physically and /or emotionally coerced into performing sex acts with adults for the profit of others.

The next time you hear a news report about child abuse, keep in mind what the terms really mean...and the consequences of the conduct described.

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit