just wanted to share a thought

by moanzy 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• moanzy
    moanzy

I had a visit with an elderly friend of mine yesturday. She grew up as a protestant living in England. When she moved to Canada she converted to mormonism. She is a very open-minded person to all religions and has a JW call on her and she asks what they believe and thoroughly enjoys it yet is aware of some of the things like disfellowshipping, blood ban etc. (she does not agree with this)

We were just discussing about life circumstances and religion and the history of religion and that sort of stuff. She gave me a brief history on her conversion to mormonism and then she said that mormonism can be too confining for some people because of some of their rules and beliefs, but she loves it and it "suits her spirit". I just thought that was such a beautiful way to explain your satisfaction in what you have come to believe.

I am drawn to eastern religions and I do find they "suit my spirit"

Moanzy

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Taoist / Buddhist here....so I understand what you are saying. Not only does it seem to fit my "soul" but makes more sense too. Probably goes hand in hand.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

The eastern stuff can be pretty accurately described as "I can't believe it's not religion!" Perhaps that has something to do with the appeal..

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I think a lot of people, perhaps most adherants to religions, do so because deep down it "Suits their spirit" [Yes it is a nice expression].

When we were dubs we kidded ourselves that we did it because it was unasailable truth, so we went along with the hard bits and did what we were told. However people like ourselves were never really "Suited" no matter how much we liked some of it. Personally , I know that every few years I would undergo a 'down period' that would take an awful lot of personal study and self motivation to get out of . I used to agonise over the morality of Armageddon, failed time prophecies etc.. Eventually the penny dropped for all of us and we finally wised up enough to see that the "King's new clothes" were non existant and we were brave enough to admit that to ourselves.

The culture of the dubs certainly "Suits the spirit" of some of the mean spirited, anally retentive, so and so's of my acquaintance who love the rule book life and are quite happy to chuckle about the expected mass slaughter of the rest of mankind who think/act differently to them .

Do Americans know the expression "Horses for courses?", meaning that people find their home where they are comfortable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit