Ky. Diocese to Pay $120M in Sex Abuse Case

by jula71 9 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• jula71
    jula71

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050603/ap_on_re_us/church_abuse_settlement

It will be interesting if this sends out shock waves and how it could affect the dub's.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

it's good the catholics are made to pay out of their teeth . i'll will guess that the catholics have better lawyers than the wt does. i'm going to make a PROPHECY TODAY. .... IN LIGHT OF THE CURRENT COURTS CASES. the wt will be paying out real SOON. and the angels will rejoice in heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, several dioceses have faced similar financial woes.

This website will tell you how it goes on the front with abused Catholics and the Church.

http://www.snapnetwork.org/index.html

I will be going to the conference 6/10-12.

• jula71
    jula71

Good luck at the conference Blondie. But it just amazes me how the JW’s avoid most of the negative press. Must have a damn good public relations team.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

In our news downunder the figures are:

US Church unveils sex abuse settlement 8:28 PM June 4

The Roman Catholic Church has agreed to set aside $US120 million ($Au158 million) to compensate parishioners molested by priests in the US state of Kentucky.

"Nevertheless, I pray that this settlement will bring some measure of peace and healing to victims and their loved ones."

The Catholic church in Orange County, California has settled with abuse victims for $US100 million while the church in Boston agreed to an $US85 million compensation fund.

-AFP

Like Julia has said, it'll be interesting to see how the dubs fare!

• blondie
    blondie

Julia, you must remember the size and scope of the Catholic Church. That also means there are more Catholics fighting this too, many who are professionals have and good contacts. I think the president of SNAP is a lawyer in Chicago. They have sponsored many regional groups all over the US that are keeping this on the forefront. I don't know how many ex-JWs are actively contacting their legislators, to beef up the reporting laws and increase the statutes of limitations or contributing to Silentlambs. Many of these with SNAP are survivors and family members willing to be in the media spotlight and write up press releases for their local papers. There was a SL convention last year but only a few people showed up. Bill Bowen has combined forces with SNAP and LINKUP, another similar group, to fight child abuse in the religious setting. A legal victory for the Catholics is one for those abused in the WTS organization.

Love, Blondie

• codeblue
    codeblue

When I heard that verdict about the KY Diocese, I thought: at least they are trying to compensate the victims and acknowledge wrong.

I wish the WTBS would follow the Catholic Church, but then I guess that would be too "Christlike of them"...

• blondie
    blondie

Don't attribute any christlike qualities to those handling the abuse cases in the Catholic Church. They have used all the tactics the WTS has to stonewall the issue, abuse the victims further, shun them, etc., etc. Please read SNAP's website and you will get a better picture of how "cooperative" the Church has been; how their actions don't match their words of "repentance."

http://www.snapnetwork.org/

It has been a fight every millimeter of the way and the fight is not over yet.

Blondie

Remember too, news of a settlment, does not mean the money is in the pockets of the victims.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Note to Governing Body and the Legal dept.

Your next! Are you ready for bankruptcy? Your paper trail and very underhanded way of dealing with this problem, will leave you in a worse situation than the one the Catholic church.

• sf
    sf
    But it just amazes me how the JW’s avoid most of the negative press.

Hello blondie...you are an amazing person. My appreciation is deep.

While at this conference will you please, please address the above statement and let's get this in the spotlight, like the CC.

I DO send out tons of email to leaders and reps. I've even been fortunate a few times to talk on the phone. THIS is a job. A job I do with passion and hope for the kids.

It feels good to see others like yourself DOING what it is going to take to get this spotlighted, as it should be.

Take care and be safe in your journey to the conference. Know that you have our support and well wishes.

Sincerely, sKally

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit