Coro street Cult episode in NZ tonight

by Black Sheep 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Karen has just had a visit from her cult father. I heard about this some time ago.

On the booze tonight,so I am taping it and will watch it later.....

....with my wife.

Chris

• JW83
    JW83

Karen? I thought she left already? Does she come back, or is this an old episode that I missed?!!

• City Fan
    City Fan

Ex witness mates of mine told me that actor Simon Gregson who plays Steve Macdonald was brought up as a JW.

• JW83
    JW83

Really?! He was in the show when he was a teenager.

• Ellie
    Ellie

An actor friend of mine knows Simon Gregson quite well and he isn't aware that he was brought up a Jehovahs Witness, he is going to ask him though.

• lilybird
    lilybird

The Coronation Street episodes here in Canada are behind the times as they are broadcast in England. Karen is still in the show here and her father just showed up at her door. She tells Steve how hard it was like growing up with very strict religious parents and being treated differently at school because of it.. Hmmm ....brought back some painful memories........

• Grace
    Grace

I, too, live in Canada; therefore, we are about six to eight months behind Coronation St. as it appears in the UK. I watched the first episode where Karen's fanatical father shows up unexpectedly. Wow!! You wouldn't believe the references to the Witness cultish way of bringing up children (without actually stating they were Witnesses). And the actor who plays Karen does a superb job as one who has a flood of bad memories invade her current life. Extremely well done, and perhaps only those who know suchlike religious cults can really relate. There's just one line I couldn't get and played the tape over and over again. Steve asks Karen, "You mean like the ones who go door to door...?" and Karen responds something like, "I haven't done that since I was fourteen." Did anyone else catch this line?

Grace

• glitter
    glitter

Karen also reveals she's DF'd - and actually uses that word. There's no doubt at all the mother was a JW, a lot of very specific language is used, it's all spot-on apart from a reference to going to hell which will of course immediately close the ears of any JW watching just like if KHs are referred to as churches.

Only thing was I wondered if the very clear warning would go over the heads of non-JWs.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Karen talked about making an Easter Bonnet, so the Dubbies will use that to satisfy themselves that the cult is not them.

I just hope that the cultish attitudes rings a few bells. The only real differences are minor doctrinal ones.

Chris

• Grace
    Grace

Regarding the "Easter bonnet" thing, Karen (the character on the show) says that she used to. She also used to celebrate birthdays with her mom when she was little, then it all abruptly stopped. She uses clearly the word "disfellowshipped" and "the elders". She was clearly brought up as a Witness and now is suffering terribly as an unhappy adult. The only thing that is not right is the reference to "hell". But that is a subtle point: you would have to have once been in the organization to know this subtle difference.

Grace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit