Terrible News, Fair Steam Engine Explodes

by Lindy 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Lindy
    Lindy

We just heard on the local news that an antique steam engine exploded at the Medina County Fairgrounds some 12 miles from here. The fair opens tomorrow and everyone was getting stuff ready when the explosion happened. Four people are dead and some 49 injured at last count. Some are critical. They took the most serious to the Cleveland Metro Burn Unit. My husband knows two of the men that got killed so this is hitting him pretty hard. He went to school with them. The two he knows were best friends with each other. There were a good many children around the steam engine when it exploded. The children always gather around the antigue engines. They sound so noisy when they start up and run and it just brings the kids running from all over. I am so sad for all those families that are going through this tonight. I just can't imagine...

Lindy

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Were any of the fatalities children?

• Lindy
    Lindy

Stephanus,
    Don't know yet. I guess the morning news will tell us more. I will post what I know tomorrow if you'd like. I know that there were many children close to the engine when it blew so I imagine that many got hurt at least. My heart is sick over so many people so badly hurt. Burns are the worst sort of pain. Steam causes bad, bad burns, plus the flying metal and such. I know that they called help in from all over the place to get the injured out as quick as possible.
    Lindy

• Lindy
    Lindy

Stephanus,
    Here's the update:

4 Dead, 48 Injured At Medina Fairgrounds
    Steam Engine Explodes
    Colleen Seitz, Staff Writer
    July 30, 2001, 8:44 a.m. EDT
    MEDINA, Ohio -- Four people are dead and 48 others were injured in an explosion at the Medina County Fairgrounds Sunday.

Fairgrounds Explosion

Officials say that an antique steam engine on a tractor blew up without warning. Shrapnel was found up to 100 feet away from the blast site.
    "It shook everything. I've never heard anything like it in my life," Medina resident Bill Remington said.
    Officials say that the investigation will be complicated because the owners and operators of the equipment were killed in the blast. The owners, Cliff Kovacic, 46, and William Kovacic, 27, were killed, along with Alan Kimble, 46, and Dennis Jungbluth, 58. They were all Medina residents. (My husband knows the two 46 year olds.)
    The injured include two police officers and several children. All of the injured were taken to six local hospitals -- Medina General, Akron's Children's Hospital, Akron City Hospital, Wadsworth-Rittman Hospital, Lodi Community Hospital and Cleveland MetroHealth Medical Center. Fifteen people were treated and released.
    A mass casualty plan was activated at the fairgrounds Sunday. Crews and helicopters from as far away as Pittsburgh and Columbus came to help.
    The victims suffered severe burns from the engine's hot oil and steam and cuts from flying debris.
    The Medina County Fair will open at 9 a.m. The tractor was being set up for an exhibit at the fair when the explosion occurred.
    Investigators say that it could take days or weeks before they know what happened. They are looking into a possible steam leak as the cause.
    Sheriff Neil Hassinger says that no charges are expected to be filed in connection with the blast.
    Last year, dozens of people came down with E.coli at the fair after drinking the water.
    This is the linkā€¦. http://www.newsnet5.com/news/stories/news-89455920010729-180722.html

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

arent we glad there is a resurrection hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit