High Speed Rail USA

by EvilForce 4 Replies latest social current

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ok, we have our boys (and girls) over in the desert of a hostile oil rich country dying for our need for oil. At what point do we as Americans need to share in the pain of their sacrifices?

One concept that I just can't see why we don't move forward is high speed rail. I know Amtrak has a tarnished history, but we can all agree that government run quasi private companies just don't work. When I go to Europe and Japan it's so refreshing to simply show up at the station and hop on one of the ICE trains, TGV trains, Nozumi trains, etc... which travel about 300 kph or 180 mph.

I have used the Acela train run from Boston to NYC and been pleasantly surprised even though it only maxes out at 150 mph and only in certain spots. But I can still make NYC in about the same time as flying with 1/2 the stress of going to the airport and such.

China is investing in magnetic lev trains capable of 250 mph and higher.

Granted this country is less dense population wise and may not work in "fly over country" but on the eastern and western seaboards wouldn't you rather simply hop on a train to cover medium distances? For me I live about 5 1/2 hours out of Washington DC. Current Amtrak times to get there are 9+ hours! Using typical high speed rail times I could be there in 3 1/2 hours or so. Much easier and more pleasant than sitting in traffic to me.

Any takers on this debate, idea, thought?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

A nice tax on gasoline to encourage the Detroit boys to design fuel efficient vehicles would be a better way of reducing US oil dependence

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Rail is a pretty good idea. The only problem is that it's overpriced, especially with the quasi-public Via Rail. They should re-introduce the Parlimentary, a subsidized train service (first conceived in England during the Industrial Revolution).

The biggest polluter in Vancouver, however, isn't cars, but cargo ships. Go figure, eh?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Still..

I'm with you on that, but then I get branded a crazy liberal. But I have to ask...if we have boy/girls dying for oil, where is our shared responsibility? Raise CAFE standards would also be a start. (CAFE is the corporate average fuel economy which has stagnated or declined over the past 20 years)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Here's the real problem with rails in Canada:

Cost of Train from Vancouver to Ottawa (round): ~$3500

Cost of Plane from Vancouver to Ottawa (round): <$1000.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit