Online WT article: Religion - How Should It Be Financed?

by truthseeker 9 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

In light of the recent letter read to congregations, it would be good to review the article they have on financing religion. While Jehovah's Witnesses do not practice tithing, they sure do have a way of getting that proverbial plate round the congregations.

For those not familiar with the recent letter to congregations in the US, here is a snippet..

WTS Bills US JWs $8.4 million for Traveling Overseers

Being announced at Service Meetings this week at all US congregations:

A letter read during the announcements states that due to increased costs of health insurance and vehicles provided for traveling overseers (circuit and district overseers) the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society has determined the need to ask for a specific "contribution" for the "Traveling Overseer Assistance Arrangement".

Until this date expenses of this sort were paid from the Worldwide Work or general fund of contributions.

Now the WTS is 'asking' for an average of $8.50 per publisher to cover the cost of 617 traveling overseers in the US. This is an annual expense, so JWs can expect this charge every year now.

I quote the word 'asking' because immediately after the letter, each congregation is instructed to pass a resolution to pay the amount of $8.50 times the number of publishers. For example a congregation of 100 publishers would pay $850. The money is then immediately wired to the WTS. In this way the WTS gets exactly what it wants--it is a bill.
    The April 2005 Kingdom Ministry states there are 990,365 publishers in the US. At $8.50 per publisher, the entire tab is $8,418,810.

Religion
    How Should It Be Financed?

Giving Until It Hurts

In this series:
    Giving Until It Hurts
    Giving That Brings Joy

Related topics:
    Why Is There So Much Corruption?
    Protect Yourself From Fraud
    "Can I Worship God in My Own Way?"

"YOU can call me a beggar; that doesn't bother me. I'm begging for Jesus." Those telling words of a Protestant minister underline the controversy that swirls around religious funding. Organized religion seems to be able to survive only with sizable financial support. Salaries need to be paid, temples need to be built and maintained, evangelizing campaigns need to be financed. How is the necessary money to be found?

For many churches, the answer is the tithe.* "Tithing is God's way of financing His kingdom on the earth," claims evangelist Norman Robertson. "It is His system of economics which enables the Gospel to be preached." Not shy about reminding his followers of their responsibility to give, he emphatically states: 'Tithing isn't something you do because you can afford it. It is an act of obedience. Not tithing is a clear violation of God's commandments. It is embezzlement.'?Tithing?God's Financial Plan.

Most likely you agree that giving should be part of Christian worship. However, do you find insistent appeals for money disturbing, perhaps even offensive? Brazilian theologian Inácio Strieder accuses churches of resorting to tithing to "solve their institutional problems" and labels such practices "illegitimate, abusive, and a theological aberration." The result, he observes, is that "unemployed people, widows, slum dwellers, and those who are incapable of critical thinking conclude that God has abandoned them and that they are obliged to give so much to 'the preacher' that their own families go hungry."

You may wonder: 'Are churches that enforce tithing correctly applying Scripture? Or could some religions be invoking the fear of God to fleece the flock? Really, does God expect us to give until it hurts, as some would say?'

* The tithe has been defined as 10 percent of a person's gross income.

• Honesty
    Honesty

You may wonder: 'Are churches that enforce tithing correctly applying Scripture? Or could some religions be invoking the fear of God to fleece the flock? Really, does God expect us to give until it hurts, as some would say?'

Abraham gave a tenth before tithing was instituted in the Law. I belong to a 3,000 + member church with a $2 million yearly budget. Yes, they pass a collection plate but I have never heard the ministerial staff ask for money. One time the senior pastor asked the congregation if it would be ok with them if the offering taken up could be used to support the world-wide mision program. I giev more than a tenth at times and less than a tenth at times. It comes from the heart not because the plate is passed. I sometimes drop an offering off during the week when I am in the area. I wouldn't give one red cent to a church that asked for it. God has withdrawn the Holy Spirit from a lot of churches and said He would and could in Rev. chapters 2 and 3 for different reasons.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

At my grandmother's southern baptist church, they have ATMs in the lobby.

JWs want you to go before hand I guess. And you would think- with all those billions the WB&TS is making, they could at least by some comfortable seats!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following is an interesting read on the W.T. Society's former and present attitude towards donations. See about-face at

http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/donations.html

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I wonder how they broke it to the publishers that they needed to donate an extra $8.50? was it..to make up the deficiett(sp?)..in the Overseers etc....support/car insurance/car rental/health insurance/traveling expense fund?

I'm sure they announced it at the KH..and was voted on..Did you ever hear someone say No?

Snoozy...

I was wondering when I originally read the whole thing.(Posted in it's entirety) .it said the funds they had collected like 8 or so years ago was depleted..I was wondering how much they had collected at that time to last them so long? And why they were only going for a year this time?

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Some European assembly halls also provide electronic contribution devices.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Thanks for the link Kenneson.

About 5 yrs ago the congregation's "bill" (and yes, it was essentially a bill that was expected to be paid) was about $620. Now it's gone up considerably. For a family of four that's a $32 'donation' that is expected - on top of contributions expected for a mortgage, utilities, and of course the "Worldwide Work".

• blondie
    blondie

The bright point is that the WTS has not yet had the congregations start billing individuals/families. It is still an anonymous donation. Of course, some want to be known so give with a personal check or give $250 or more which requires a form from the elders for the IRS. Otherwise, you could never give a cent and no one would know for sure. Many churches have pledges or tithing where they keep close track of who gives and who doesn't. Will the WTS be forced to do that some day? If so, then CT Russell said that would be a sign that God was no longer blessing the WTS.

Blondie

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    It looks like Blondie predicted it. lol
  • St George of England
    St George of England

Here in the UK we have paid this fixed fee for years now. TOAA - Travelling Overseer Assistance Arrangement, currently £3.00 per publisher per year.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit