Anybody read this book?

by Hecklerboy 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

It's called "The History of God... The 4,000 year quest of Christianity, Judism, and, Islam".

I just read the introduction so far and from what I can tell the author shows how the idea of God changes with every generation. And the way the 3 main monotheistic religions have viewed God over the centuries. Looks very interesting.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Sound cool Heckler, give us a review when you are finished it k?

GBL

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

if that is the one written by an Ex-Nun, I did read it...

shows how Jehovah started out as dropping in in human form, having dinner with Abraham, gradually becoming invisible and transcendant and totally unreal....only to come back as Jesus

• Shakita
  • Shakita
    Shakita

Hey Hecklerboy,

That book is by Karen Armstrong. I read that book a couple of months ago and it was a real eye opener. She has written many such books. Another book of hers that I recommend is The Battle For God. Once you read these books you can never look at the Bible or the JW's the same anymore. These books should be recommended reading for any potential JW convert. If they read these books there wouldn't be as many JW converts.

Mr. Shakita

• Mary
    Mary

the author shows how the idea of God changes with every generation

You mean the idea of "present truth" isn't a new one?!

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

Yep, Karen Armstrong, that's her. From what I've read it sounds like she was raised a Catholic. I wonder if the Catholics have banned that book the way the Borg banned C.O.C and I.S.O.C.F. by Ray Franz?

Thanks for the recommendation Shakita. I'll check it out after I read this one.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Anyone ever read "Sinners in the hand of an angry God" ?

That was a good read...

Beats the pants off of YPA

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Haven't you ever wondered why each countries god looks like them? That's cause god is a creation of ours not vise versa

• under74
    under74

Good book. But her book Batt;e For God is even better. She's gets some stuff about certain religious movements a little off (but not too much) but it's a great book and easier to read than The History Of God.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit