Send out a sherpa guide for Seatle Nice Guy

by mjarka911 6 Replies latest jw friends

• mjarka911
  • mjarka911
    mjarka911

I need by "evidence for evolution" fix for this week!

• vitty
    vitty

I hate it when ppl go missing

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

SNG has been posting fairly regularly.

He has been very busy with work and personal life recently, however, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't had time to research a new installment.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

While waiting for the next installment I ponder about how Bible teaching is consistent with evolution.

The sinful nature of humankind (described in the Biblical and other creation myths) is what the evolutionary process left us with. We are lustful, aggressive, and hostile to unknown tribes because those qualities enabled us to become the dominant species on the planet. It is natural for us to have those propensities and no blame attaches to us for that.

Perhaps to create us, the whole process symbolised in the Bible was necessary. For humankind, at a certain stage in the evolutionary process, perhaps we were given a fortaste of what is ultimately possible or even the purpose of eolved huhumanity, although full evolution might be complete Oneness with God. Was Christ the revelation of what is ultimately possible, even perhaps the Creators intervention in the process.

The process of evolution, and therefore beings which could eventually give rise to consciousness and intellectual thought, could only come from atoms decaying, stars exploding to give the complex element of carbon from hydrogen & helium. The process only takes place because earlier generations die & make way for mutated offspring. Only by competition for scarce resources to 'fit' forms of organic life evolve.

But at some point in evolution, can humans transcend this through what the Bible teaches about Divine-human unity made possble by a mediator. Could lust be transformed or moderated to loving desire & sensual delight? Could aggression be moderated into courage to face affliction and compete without rancour? Human traits generated by evolutionary competition, transformed into spiritual capacities of love. Doesnt the Bible say God is love, but also that God 'forms the light and creates darkness.

Is nice guy back yet??

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL...Wow, nice to see that I'm missed. :-)

Euph is correct - I have been quite busy with things in my personal life right now and haven't had much time to research. After reading this thread, I'd really like to take a few hours and write the next article, but honestly I just can't. I'm working overtime trying to get a project done, and it's overdue already.

I will say this, though, regarding evolution. I was thinking about sex today...hee hee...and I realized that there could hardly be a phenomenon more subject to selective pressure. Think about it - if sex doesn't feel good, that individual is unlikely to pass on its genes. The creatures that like sex a lot will be more likely to produce offspring that also likes sex a lot. So we've had hundreds of millions of years of evolution honing our sexual desires and sensitivities. So the next time you see that beer commercial shamelessly selling sex, just remember, nothing could be more natural, in every sense.

I promise to try to have a really good article ready by next weekend. :-)

Thanks for your support!

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Okay, I lied. I went ahead and wrote an article this week. I couldn't resist. Thanks for the encouragement! Here's the link:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/91134/1.ashx

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit