The Perfect Map

by Rod P 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

"The Perfect Map" is a paradox.

Where would we be without maps? They provide us with much information to give us directions, pinpoint locations, quantify distances and areas, and identify landmarks (roads, tracks, intersections, towns, cities, signs, etc.)

What exactly is a map? It is a scale drawing of the real world. It's purpose is to convey to the reader a picture of the reality it represents.

Different maps have different scales. Some maps, for instance, have scales where one inch on the drawing equals one mile in real world. If you measured 10" on the map, you would realize that on that scale, you were looking at a representation of 10 linear miles of the real world at that geographic location. And one square inch on the map (i.e. 1" x 1") = 100 square miles in reality (i.e. 10 x 10).

So now, what if you changed the map scale? Suppose that two inches on the map would represent the 10 linear miles. Or four square inches (i.e. 2" x 2") would equal the same 100 square miles in reality (i.e. 10 x 10).

From this we can deduce that when you double the square dimensions in, you actually make it possible to provide four times as much information, because you have four times the square inches available in the larger scale. For if the same four square inches on paper provides details on 100 square miles, that means you can include 4 times as much information as you would be able to if you had to draw information for 100 square miles in only one square inch.

What would happen if you used a scale of 10" on the map equals 10 linear miles. Or 100 square inches (i.e. 10" x 10") would equal the same 100 square miles in reality (10 miles x 10 miles)? This means you would now have ten times as much detailed information, because you have ten times the square inches available in the larger scale. For if the same one hundred square inches on paper provides details on 100 square miles, that means you can include 100 times as much information as you would be able to if you had to draw information for 100 square miles in only one square inch.

Therefore, the larger the scale, the more detail you can include on the map, the more accurately you can represent or depict reality on paper. Which means, the more detail you have on your map, the more useful and valuable it becomes in terms of the amount of information it can give you.

What then is the perfect map? What is the perfect scale?

The perfect scale would be when one mile on the map equals one linear mile in reality, or one square mile (i.e. 1 x 1) on paper equals one square mile in the real world. This is the perfect map, because this would provide sufficent space on the map to literally draw 100% of everything that was out there in the real world. No detail would be left out or missing, with the perfect map.

So here is the paradox: The minute you have created the perfect map, that is precisely the moment when you have created a map that is now completely useless. You no longer need the map, because you need only walk around in the real world to get all of the details you need. The perfect map is perfectly useless!

Rod P.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

hmmmmm maps so lovely, to keep it 'real' in my site i'll grab my white out and whipe out the kingdom halls he he he he he! as they said they are not part of the world, they "overcame" the world

Evanescence

• ballistic
    ballistic

To play devils advocate with you, the real world exists at a sub atomic level and unless you were a sub atomic physicist wishing to examine that amount of detail, you would not need such a large map?

Consider:

How Long is the Coastline of Britain?

The question "How long is the coastline of Britain?" posed by Benoit Mandelbrot, the father of modern fractal theory, in his book The Fractal Geometry of Nature is not as simple as it appears. The problem is that one's answer to this question depends on the length of the ruler one uses. Unlike circles and the other shapes from classical geometry, coastlines are very irregular. They're full of inlets, bays, and rocky shores. A shorter measuring stick will fit more snugly in these nooks and crannies and increase the estimated length of the coastline. Hence, if we measure the length of Britain's coastline using a mile-long ruler, we will get one value. If we use a shorter ruler, say a yardstick, we will get a larger value because a yardstick can more closely approximate Britain's convoluted boundary. In fact, as the scale of measurement decreases, the estimated length increases without limit. Thus, as the length of the ruler approaches zero, the estimated length of the coastline approaches infinity. This difficulty in measuring due to the irregularity of the object being measured is characteristic of fractal curves and surfaces.

- linked from an article in "Nature" magazine.

• Rod P
    Rod P

Ballistic,

You have made some interesting comments. I was aware of fractal theory (at an introductory level).

I am also familiar with what happens to a coastline, say if you could reconfigure it into a straight line. The distance or length would be quite astounding.

Your point about the amount of detail (albeit in your example, at the subatomic level) is precisely the point I am trying to make about the map paradox, namely that if you made a map on a scale of 1:1, then such a map, in all of its (infinite) detail, would no longer be needed. It would defeat the purpose for the map in the first place.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes it would, and it would be very difficult to fold up. Such a map would be perfect in representation, but would it be perfect as in usefulness?

• ballistic
    ballistic

I suppose a happy medium would be to harness the power of high definition pictures from spy satellites to give you a snap shot of your current location. Take an existing GPS system and give it the communications technology from satellite phones, and have the satellite transmit down to you live high definition pictures at your current location. You will probably see your smiling face looking up at the sky.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit