September 8 Awake

by KSJordan 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• KSJordan
    KSJordan

The main topic is help for depressed teens. Yet when I was a teenager and depressed, did the elders help me? NO!!!! The elders made rude little comments about it. Also, in a talk once, they said something like if a depressed person wants to talk to you, just tell them you are busy and will talk later. Also, they said something like, "They will snap out of it, so just ignore them if they are talking crazy". Any thoughts about this?

• Francois
    Francois

Yeah, I have a thought about it. Being depressed is IMO worse than death, since you find no joy in living but can't seem to die. People who are depressed should receive the gentlest and most considerate behavior we are capable of offering. Anything less makes us potential accessories to homocide in my opinion.

The last thing a depressed person needs to hear is "snap out of it." If we were able to just snap out of it, we wouldn't be depressed in the first damn place.

Be cool. Help a depressed person by understanding how much intense, inescapable pain they're in...and be gentle.

Francois

Where it is a duty to worship the Sun you can be sure that a study of the laws of heat is a crime.

• blondie
    blondie

Just because the information is in a publication, don't assume the elders will:

1. Read it
    2. Understand it
    3. Plan on wasting any of their precious time helping anyone
    4. After all, mature Christians do not get depressed (not)

• Rick Aust
    Rick Aust

Think about the elders (the older men) for a moment... They have no professional training, they at times may not even be old or wise..but becuase they were given this title they now know everything.
    They may still be single and yet they will advise Married couples with problems. The WTS discourage going to Councilors.
    And yet we are to accept that there advise comes from the holy spirit,
    what they do is really more like faith-healing.

• blondie
    blondie

That's right, Rick Aust, the elders don't have training. But some don't think that precludes them from giving "professional" advice. On top of giving bad advice, they will then discourage you from seeking proper professional advice. The elders are warned and warned in the publications not to get involved in "medical" situations since they are not trained. Many just don't listen.... Maybe they are getting behind the scenes advice for the Society that isn't in writing.

When does lack of training, knowledge or experience, stop most elders from giving their opinion.

• joelbear
    joelbear

Once when I was severely depressed after being dismissed from Bethel, I was out in service and started crying in the car.

One of the sisters told the elders that she never wanted to be assigned to service with me again.

It was a sister I thought a great deal of too.

hugs

Joel

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy y'all,

In reality, I think a lot of people - in and out of the WTBTS - are made uncomfortable by sad emotions. A lack of emotions in general, as in some depressions, makes no impression on them whatsoever.

I think the WTBTS doesn't encourage a show of emotion - but then neither does a neighborhood bar.

JW's are supposed to be happy people, but we knew there was a lot of depression. We were told it was because there was so much stress on jw's because of being good people in an evil world. "Is it any wonder so many of our brothers & sisters are depressed? Look at how they have to live! The wickedness!"

So, a lot of times, they just don't know how to respond. But a lot of other people have that problem also.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit