Darkness fell in eastern Canada and New England...

by Special K 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

Yup, ... Darkness fell on Eastern Canada and New England States.

When you ask. Well, it was 225 years ago!

I like to think that this was way before the Jehovah's Witness Religion existed, but I'm sure the people still may have been terrified that the end of the world was here and it was the works of the devil.

Taken from my morning paper:

Today in History
    Darkness fell on Eastern Canada and the New England states at 2 p.m., 225 years ago today, in 1780. Many people gathered in churches for comfort during the so-called "dark day." Scientists believe smoke and ash from forest fires burning to the west in Canada and the United States most likely became concentrated into a dense cloud which was drawn across eastern North America by passing low pressure.

• Special K
    Special K

Nobody out there been left in the dark?

lol

SK

• kls
    kls

I can see why they would have freaked out ,if it weren't for the news we have today we would do the same and today the jws would be having a going to paradise party.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Fascinating contemporary accounts. If you scroll down, there is a painting of the scene.

http://www.islandnet.com/~see/weather/almanac/arc2004/alm04may.htm

• Special K
    Special K

Wow, Jgnat.. that was a very interesting read of what happened

Impacts
    Regardless of the true cause, the event brought concern to many, fearing the anger of God or demons.
    The most interesting reaction came from the Connecticut Legislature sitting at Harford. The general opinion of many legislators was that the day of judgment was at hand.
    Opinions as to the cause of the darkness were mixed. Yale president Timothy Dwight observed: "It was the general opinion that the day of judgment was at hand." Many New Englanders abandoned their daily activities and congregated at hastily-convened religious services

I found that whole article and interesting read Jgnat.. thanks so much for posting up the link

Special K

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit