Pledge of Allegiance News

by gespro 5 Replies latest social current

• gespro
    gespro

DOH!

I have mixed feelings about this...and I'm by no means a WT apologist/sympathizer...

Flagler Students Who Refuse Pledge No Longer Counseled

POSTED: 7:34 am EDT May 18, 2005 UPDATED: 7:46 am EDT May 18, 2005

Students in Flagler County, Fla., who refuse to recite the Pledge of Allegiance will no longer be disciplined or undergo counseling, according to a Local 6 News report.

The School Board and ACLU came to an agreement to change the school district's policy when it comes to the Pledge of Allegiance.

Attorneys said Flagler County's School Board cannot force patriotism, Local 6 News reported.

In the past, students who didn't salute the flag were forced to undergo counseling and their parents were notified.

Now, schools will no longer notify parents of middle and high school students who refuse to take part in the Pledge of Allegiance.

"The Pledge is voluntary and voluntary means voluntary," school volunteer John Scripp said.

School officials will still notify elementary school parents but those students will not face any discipline.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story. Copyright 2005 by Internet Broadcasting Systems and Local6.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Surely this is good news. Isn't it?

• TheListener
    TheListener

It's difficult enough to be a dub kid. I don't like it when the school system or others make it more even more difficult. Making the kids feel bad isn't the answer. The dub parents just use it as an excuse to inculcate (dub word?) a persecution complex in the kids.

• talesin
    talesin

Hey, gespro,,, yah, the poor kids. hissboo :(

tal

• Dustin
    Dustin

It's so worth being picked on and ridiculed for. Let's serve a really powerful god like Jehovah.

• gespro
    gespro

I think I now know what bugged me about that article:

I just remembered being treated like a freak in school. They sent me to the school shrink [who turned out to be a very nice man] like ..well I'll stop there cause I'm still sad about all that crap. And knowing that there are mutitudes of kids going through this nonsense for a cult makes me insane...

They just won't let them be children, will they...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit