Spiritualism

by diamondblue1974 5 Replies latest jw friends

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I have a friend who has just started seeing a boyfriend who is also a spiritualist; they have talked about his beliefs as such but she seems quite interested in it all.

I dont know enough to dismiss it or otherwise but has anyone else on the board had any experiences of the Spiritualist church.

What are they about, what do they believe and how are they organised.

Hope you can help.

DB74

• under74
    under74

I don't know a whole lot about the movement but I do know that a big part of their beginning or a big influence started in the Burned-over District in NY with the Fox Sisters in the mid 1800s. The same time and same place the Millerites (Jws came out of them) and Mormons.

This probably isn't much help to you DB but thought I'd throw out any info I knew.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I have avoided such things in the past for religious reasons, but now I dont believe in demons or evil spirits.

However my sister was into spiritualism very heavily for a few years. She had some very disturbing experiences which eventually concerned her to such an extent that she has avoided spiritualism ever since. She still believes in all sorts of new age type stuff, is totally fearless of most things, but insists to me that it is evil disguised as good.

Sounds a bit like the watchtower leadership he he

• El blanko
    El blanko

Personally, I'd avoid, avoid, avoid.

A friend of mine was also interested and was told that the meetings were based in a church building and there would be a medium present.

I still believe in malevolent spirits, so I use my common sense and avoid contact with invisible entities where possible.

• QCA1
    QCA1

Hi Diamond

In reply to your post concerning spirirtualism,they do not worship demons or devils,i investigated spiritualism many years ago and i found a truth there that i found nowhere else.

There churches are light and airy and the atmosphere is calming and tranquill,the people are genuinely loving and kind,on the walls of the church you will find the words LOVE,TRUTH and LIGHT,you will also find the 7 principles that they live by.

1) The Fatherhood of God

2)The Brotherhood of Man

3)the Communion of Spirit and the Ministry of Angels

4)The Continous existence of the Human Soul

5)Personal Responsibility

6)Compensation and Retribution hereafter for all the good and evil deeds done on Earth

7) Eternal Progress open to every human Soul.

Didn't people hear voices in bible days,didn't angels appear to the people didn't prophets go into trance states,read the bible again,the church supressed this knowledge for there own power, chose what they wanted people to believe and demonized the rest.Much like the watchtower really and the rest of organised religion.

qca1

• FMZ
    FMZ

I attended a Spiritualist church for a while.

They are very genuine and open. Don't be scared, they teach only love. I have had confirmed messages from dead loved ones (very accurate with meaningful messages) during services, and have seen many burst out in tears as the medium gives them a message.

It is a beautiful belief system, but everything in balance. I learned some great things from the church, and have now moved on to learn more elsewhere, but Spiritualism plays a large part in my personal belief system.

FMZ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit