"The Whore Lived Like a German"

by ljwtiamb 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

You gotta read this whole story. I'm interested in your comments, please:

http://service.spiegel.de/cache/international/0,1518,344374,00.html

THE DEATH OF A MUSLIM WOMAN "The Whore Lived Like a German" By Jody K. Biehl in Berlin

In the past four months, six Muslim women living in Berlin have been brutally murdered by family members. Their crime? Trying to break free and live Western lifestyles. Within their communities, the killers are revered as heroes for preserving their family dignity. How can such a horrific and shockingly archaic practice be flourishing in the heart of Europe? The deaths have sparked momentary outrage, but will they change the grim reality for Muslim women?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Horific - but very little can be done - people are too much in fear of insulting Islam or criticizing it for fear of Fatwa - see Newsweek etc.

• simplesally
    simplesally

Have any of you read the series by an Arabian Princess? Princess Sultana (an aka) wrote 3 books all about the "captivity" of Muslim women.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes Simplesally - my sister - has copies of all three of those books and I have read them all - it is horrific - and that is in the Saudi Royal Family!!!! Disgusting -it is partly the religion and partly because it is a patriarchal society

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Also see if you can find a copy of "Death of a Princess" to watch:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/princess/

• avishai
    avishai
    It seems hard to fathom, but in the middle of democratic Western Europe -- in Germany, a nation where pacifism is almost a universal mantra -- murderous macho patriotism not only exists but also appears to be thriving. It may even be Germany's liberalism -- and its post World War II fear of criticizing minority cultures -- that has encouraged ultra-religious families to settle here.

And that is one of the problems with pacifism

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Having been raised in a multi-cultural environment, and having had Muslims as friends whilst growing up, I can understand a lot about the culture, but anyone outside of the whackier violent elements of Islam would find these 'honour killings' despicable.

I hope that women's plight in Islam is solved by increasing secularisation of Islam, although the 'worst' communities are the most resistant to secularisation, just as with any religion in need of reform. Christianity's secularisation staretd in the 19th C, Islam's is only begining to build up speed.

By way of example, in many textbooks prior to the 50's, you will read how Muslims do not hold with images of living creatures. This Quaranic prescription has effectively disappeared; the worst of the fundamentalist Mullahs will use TV etc. without any qualms, despite the fact their father or grandfather would have insisted it was 'unIslamic'.

Religions reflect cultures; ignorant, violent, misogynistic cultures have ignorant, violent, misogynistic religions. Christianity WAS ignorant, violent, misogynistic, but for the most part has reformed in the past hundred years or so as humanist concepts like human rights have spread through society. Islam will reform in the same way.

For members of traditionalistic religious communities in the West, we have to impose law as severely as it allows, offer help to those at risk, and ensure religiously prejudiced parents cannot stop their children being aware of the standards of the society they live in, and the help available to those at risk of crime.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit