Chicken or Egg?

by ljwtiamb 3 Replies latest jw experiences

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

This is one of those 'which came first' kinda questions:

Did WTS exploit personality characteristics (strengths or weaknesses) that already existed in you?

OR:

Did your personality eventually disintegrate into the familiar jw mold?

So whaddya think?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Did WTS exploit personality characteristics (strengths or weaknesses) that already existed in you?

YES this one in my case.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

actually, equal parts of both i would say. i had a weakness as a child: lack of critical thinking ability. and after coming in, i molded myself to what they wanted...for a time.

• luna2
    luna2

I've been thinking a lot about this. I think that they exploited personality characteristics that I already had and it was slow go on forcing me into their mold on the things I wasn't in lockstep with.

I already had low self esteem, didn't even want to date (bad marriage), believed strongly in telling the truth, didn't smoke or drink to excess, and loved to read and study, so in those areas I didn't have to change much.

I had trouble with meeting attendance, field service, giving up movies that I liked (no matter what their rating) and reading what I liked. I tried hard to push myself into the mold in those areas, but was never completely successful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit