The book Crisis of Conscience

by Jim Dee 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim Dee
    Jim Dee

I've just finished reading this book I was brought up in the society, seen the elder arrangement brought in, seen changes and in fighting - and finally sttof down as a Snr Circuit Elder in England because of the abuse issue and the society covering up. I have also the seen the society flee and CYA because of the Data Protection Act in the UK. Seen them twist and turn on leagalise rather than righteousness. I hated the society for the way they turned their blindness into "blame the abused" - but part of me said "they have many things right". But this book has opened my eyes. What a fool I have been. Even though Franz is a bitter, bitter man, nevertheless it has been like the scales falling from my eyes. What a fool I have been. I am intelligent, degree educated and run a large multi national corporation - yet I was thoroughly deceived. When I resigned as an Elder because of the way they reacted over child abuse in my congregation - just covered it up on offical policy - I still believed. I helped change may policies and leaked inside information - deep inside information - to both this board and others. Yet deep inside I thought they would change. What an idiot I am. How could I have been so foolish? How could I have fallen for such a lie? Jim

• Confession
    Confession

Hey, Jim... I'm with you. Elder who began experiencing a number of "flashpoints" through the years. Just recently came to understand the org is not what it purports to be in the last 7 months. I too began looking for those who wanted to reform. It didn't take me long to recognize how unrealistic that is for an organization like this one. If they reform, great...but I'm not holding my breath. I was curious about your conclusion that Raymond Franz was a "bitter, bitter man." Believe me, it was difficult picking CofC up and reading the words of the man I'd always regarded as the Evil Slave--and was perfectly willing to find fault with him. But I was impressed with his restraint--and his willingness to show understanding and even make excuses for those on the Governing Body who'd railroaded him. If it took me to the age of 60 to realize all I have, if I'd dedicated 40 years of that lifespan to this organization, it would be very difficult not to have hard feelings. If Ray Franz was bitter when he wrote CofC, I don't think he was any more bitter than any of us who've come to understand the truth regarding the WT Society.

• Celia
    Celia
    ---Even though Franz is a bitter, bitter man, nevertheless it has been like the scales falling from my eyes---

Nowhere in the book does Ray Franz come across as a bitter, bitter man....

even though he would have the right to be, but he's not. He's fair and cool about the whole thing.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I bought the fourth edition 5 months ago on Amazon. Here is what he says is his motivation for the book:

Life is uncertain and when a man dies what he knows dies along with him - unless he passes it on while still in life. What this book contains is written out of a sense of obligation to people whom I sincerely love. In all good conscience I can say that its aim is to help and not to hurt. If some of what is presented is painful to read, it was also painful to write. It is hoped that the reader will recognise that the search for truth will, instead, strengthen the basis for true faith. What those reading this information do with it is, of course, their own decision. At least it will have been said, and a moral responsibility will have been met.

Franz is without bitterness. If I were to find fault it might be because he disapproves of anti-JW activism such as picketing Kingdom Halls etc.

I learned much much more truth about the truth from the second book In Search of Christian Freedom. The scales fell from my eyed about what scriptures really mean on the blood issue and many many others.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit