Looking to the future

by individuals wife 7 Replies latest jw friends

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

It was a wonderful hope to be given - to live forever in a Paradise Earth, never to grow old, never to suffer the aches and pains of an ageing body, to see your family grow generation after generation. It was a relief not having to worry about how we would survive on an old age pension, who would look after us in our twilight years or how we could manage if we were bereaved and left alone to look after ourselves with failing health.

Now that the illusion has been destroyed and reality has set in it has put boundaries on our lifespan on this earth. We have to look at practicalities, a pension, long term health care, securing a happy and comfortable retirement. It can also be very hard to come to terms with our own mortality, we no longer have the millions of years ahead of us to fill with all the wonderful things we had planned. We may only have 60,70,80 years, maybe less, maybe more, to live our lives.

Do you find yourself now worrying about ageing and the associated problems, things that were never considered to be part of the deal in the world of the JWs?

I remember so often in the field service talking to people about what a wonderful prospect everlasting life was, how difficult is it to accept your own mortality and come to terms with the fact that your time on this earth is limited?

How do feel about growing old now?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Hmmm. Good question! I actually do not fear growing old. Maybe because I was 19 when I was DFed and growing old wasn't really a fear THEN? Maybe because the idea of what comes after my death - I believe in a heavenly life - is appealing to me too? I dunno.

But I actually look forward to growing old. I'll be the big 3 - 0 in just a few more days and am not having any anxiety about it at all. My only problem with growing old is that I don't feel like I can make up for the first 19 years that I lost as a JW.

Billygoat

• Simon
    Simon

Yes, I want to make sure I can give the kids a good start in life and that Angharad will not have to struggle if I'm gone.

It's not nice to think about but I think you need to think about things and plan if you *really* love your 'loved ones'. Thinking it doesn't matter because we will live for ever is a cop out and dangerous because you could end up squandering the time you do have together. I guess a lot of JWs do that though don't they - not talking to family and friends.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

I think this is one of the more difficult things to deal with for those of us who grew up 'in the troof'. After being pounded daily into your head that 'you won't go to high school, you won't move out, you won't get a job, etc, etc' (and realizing that same stuff was told to YOUR parents!) - you get into a 'future doesn't matter' frame of mind. Planning for old age then becomes a difficult concept to think about. Now middle age is on the horizon and I realize there is precious little time to enjoy life (and yet be able to save for old age).

I think even more sad for me is realizing that my parents have been living the same lie WAY longer than me, and still are. And now they are nearing retirement age and live in a day-to-day struggle to pay the bills. 10 more years when they can't work what happens? There's no retirement fund. There's no true friends that will help when the time comes. And the other children are living the same lie and thus are continuing the tradition of only making enough $$ to scrape by. There will be no help there either. All I can hope is I've put myself into a good enough position to be of some use.

And the JW's call this materialistic, all the while planning on taking the nice homes and fancy cars over after Jah kills the owners! :o Or taking gov't handouts that the rest of us have 20-35% of our checks ripped out to provide.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

NameWithheld -

And the JW's call this materialistic, all the while planning on taking the nice homes and fancy cars over after Jah kills the owners!

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. I remember working in the field service with people who would go around choosing which luxurious house they would pick for themselves after Jehovah has destroyed the owner, used to make me really cringe. After all these people have worked hard for what they have achieved and the JWs concerned just did not have the motivation to get these things for themselves in 'this system'. Why work hard for it now when you can get it handed to you on a plate after Armageddon?

I think that it is a shame that in the future many JWs will find themselves in a situation of great hardship because they were not encouraged to provide for themselves long term.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Here is a repost of the very first extract from Fred Hall's diary. Note how he thinks of his neighbours and their property:

Dear Diary,

Work at the sewage plant was hard today, but it's good honest work, the sort that Jehovah God smiles upon, perfect for masking the stench of hanging out with apostates in my internet time. Anyway, like all those doomed and morally corrupt Hollywood stars say, I'll stop doing it when it stops being fun. After all, 57 is not too old to get other fulfilling work. I find that turning up at the Kingdom Hall right after works seems to get me out of all sorts of things, especially field service. Perhaps the elders realise that my job is hard and important and don't want to push me too hard.

My Mom just gave me my cup of cocoa to help me sleep and tucked me in. She is so strong and faithful, even at 78 years of age. Even though she is confined to a wheelchair, she still counts time for Jehovah on the phone; she still makes me my cocoa and brings it to me, but I suppose women get a real blessing from serving men, at least that's what the elders say. As usual, I had to hide my computer under the bed after I finished with it; she understands the evils that come from associating with apostates. I am so grateful to Jehovah that he has made me so much stronger than ordinary people in facing up to apostate filth. Must be something to do with the job I'm in. Sometimes Mom hears the modem when I dial my ISP, but I just tell her I'm playing with my R2D2 toy again; there is a higher truth in Jehovah!

I love to lie here at this time of night and think about Jehovah's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked lawless system of things. I love the way my Awake! puts that, it's less urgent than when it said that it would happen during the 1914 generation, but we must not run ahead of Jehovah. I love to look at the pictures of paradise in my Christian publications and dream of my little patch of God's green Earth. I'm going to ask for the little farm down the road currently owned by that farmer with the vicious dogs. I'll really enjoy watching the carrion fowl pick his carcass. Imagine getting upset at me walking past those 8 hidden No Trespassing signs when all I was doing was bringing him the good news that he'll die a horrible death if he doesn't start going door-to-door like we do! I'll be very happy in that little cottage with my two cats, Mr Jinks and Old Smelly (who I found at work when he was a kitten). I never told Mom that I named Mr Jinks after a cartoon character; she might have tried burning him or something if she did know! She's so faithful to Jehovah! That farm down the road is so much like one of those helpful images which the faithful and discreet slave provide us to help us keep focussed on the new world, with a little waterfall coming down the hill, fruit trees and patches of flowers. I don't have to use much imagination to visualise a group of brothers assembling another Kingdom Hall off in the distance, just like the picture in the Knowledge book shows. I sometimes wonder why we need to still have meetings under the loving of guidance of the elders in the new system when all things will be made known. I asked Elder Noah Tall about it, he said that he'd tell me all about it after Harmageddon. I just love the kind way our knowledgeable elders handle such difficult questions; it convinces me that we really are in the truth and have Jehovah's blessing.

At this time of night I often get thoughts about some of the girls in the congregation. I would love to find the right partner to carry on Jehovah's work with. The sisters don't pay me much attention. Perhaps when I've handled the microphone a few more times they'll see how dedicated to Jehovah I am. I'm so glad I'm not a Catholic; all that talk about a virgin named Mary would be too much for me. I must admit I enjoy looking at the picture of Jennifer Lopez I keep in my wallet (Mom would never let me have a poster on the wall!) and thinking about her. I get funny feelings and stirrings while doing this. I asked Elder Tall about it and he said that too much of that could lead to sin. He is so wise!

Well, it's getting late and I must get in my early morning apostate bashing before going to work.

Good Night, Diary

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Stephanus -

I love to look at the pictures of paradise in my Christian publications and dream of my little patch of God's green Earth. I'm going to ask for the little farm down the road currently owned by that farmer with the vicious dogs. I'll really enjoy watching the carrion fowl pick his carcass.

I've met JWs with this attitude - makes you wonder how they can call themselves Christian.

One sister even believed that she 'deserved' a nice big palatial house in the new system because of all the 'hard work' she was doing in the field service now. It was as though she thought God owed her something.

I think in these circumstances you have to really examine the motives of people, why are they JWs - just for what they think they will get at the end of it??

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    One sister even believed that she 'deserved' a nice big palatial house in the new system because of all the 'hard work' she was doing in the field service now. It was as though she thought God owed her something.

This is the result of a works based religion, I suppose. If God rewards effort by salvation, then you owe Him nothing; you're square. Not only that, because the work you've done is so vital to His plan, HE now owes you bigtime! I've found most people who adhere to such works programs as part of their religion to be pretty arrogant, petty and often selfish. Oh, and definitely more understanding of their own shortcomings than those of others! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit