Dutch Reform and unvaccinated

by Jahna 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jahna
    Jahna

In Southern Ontario Canada at the moment there is an outbreak of German Measles, mostly among a sect of Christian who for religious reasons refuse vaccines. Currently there are over 120 people with the Measles, most of which are children. There is now evidence of one man who has been vaccinated catching the illness. In the schools where this outbreak is prevalent approximately 60% of the students are Dutch Reform and unvaccinated.

In light of the recent discussion regarding blood and children, could the courts or even ourselves take a similar view regarding vaccines as blood? While yes, for the most part serious illness is resulting from getting the German Measles for instance is rare, it is extremely hazardous to the unborn, and can result in even death in children and adults (because of complications.) We can even argue in some cases quite similar risk factors exist in many cases involving blood (where alternative treatment is possible).

Jahna

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Freedom of choice, I'm all for. We've had good information campaigns, in this country, regarding Rubella. Info continues to be provided to prospective mothers, and vaccination is strongly encouraged.

Religion, having a say in medical care, is another matter entirely.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Oh shyte! I just read this - I am going to Southern Ontario on Sunday and I am not vaccinated against German Measles as mentioned on another thread. I don;t know how serious German Measles is but would rather not get it to be honest while I am on holiday. Could you be more specific about the region so I can avoid it?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I remember my mum getting it, less than a year after my youngest brother was born, and being sick in bed for two weeks with a very irritating rash and high fever.

In an age of vaccinations it should be near irradicated, as TB nearly was; but, nope, it's still hanging in there!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

its hanging in there because some parents won't get their kids vaccinated. Mine didnt see the point of me having the rubella jab when I was 9 as Armageddon was just around the corner and I wasn;t likely to be of an age to bear children beforehand.

God what if your mother had got it whilst pregnant with your little bro? Think of how much he might have been damaged by that!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

That's exactly what crossed our minds, at the time!!!

• Jahna
    Jahna

Hello Crumpet

The area is in South Western Ontario. West of Hamilton and pretty much east of London.

According to my doctor, the only real concern is for women of child bearing age, as it can kill the fetus in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy or, cause birth defects. There can be complications for those who do get the illness. I myself had the German Measles and it wasn't that bad. You can get a vaccination before you visit Canada, if your concerned, but test for pregnacy before hand! They won't give it to you if you are. In some cases, like my own, the vaccine can wear off (or even if you had the Measles), testing for this for pregnant women is common and they will re vaccinate after the baby is born.

While many parent won't vacinate because of fears, the Dutch Reform Church forbids vaccines because of relgious grounds, simular to the blood ban with JW's and yes, the former ban on vaccines in years gone by.

Jahna

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Thanks for the advice Jhana and clarification. I was discussing it over a bottle of wine with my b/f last night in the garden and he said I should be fine as he says we're unlikely to meet any Dutch reformists at the places we're going! Its too late for me to get the vaccine as I go in a couple of days. But I'm definitely not pregnant so I should be fine.

Do Dutch Reformists wear any particular style of clothing that may make them more easily identifiable so I can steer clear if I see any - that is a dumb paranopid question, but I do want to know.

• Jahna
    Jahna

Hello crumpet

From the Dutch Reform that I know, not really. The majority that I know live in the boon docks, on farms.

You should be just fine visiting our lovely country and province. Enjoy yourself.

Jahna

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    In the schools where this outbreak is prevalent approximately 60% of the students are Dutch Reform and unvaccinated.

Actually, the Dutch Reformed have no policy on vaccinations. I believe its actually in Christian Dutch Reformed schools only 40% are vaccinated.

Some Dutch Reformed feel that sicknesses are God's will and you shouldn't prevent it whereas others think that its okay to get them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit