The Passion

by LMS-Chef 3 Replies latest jw friends

• LMS-Chef
    LMS-Chef

I am sure this is a very old topic but I just saw most of it. I had to stop, it made me feel too guilty. What did everyone think of it?

Michael

• Preston
    Preston

"I think it really guilt trips you into believing" as the South Park parody put it, as opposed through persuasion without such an emotional appeal. Read Christopher Hitchens' excellent destruct in his Love, Poverty, and War book of essays.

- Preston

• vitty
    vitty

I hate cruelty, images stay with me for months, so I was worried about watching it, although I would like to.

• Mary
    Mary

Well here's my take on it, but you gotta consider that I've consumed 3 glasses of REALLY good vino...........

I was horrified at what happened to Jesus......I fast forwarded all the whipping stuff----I don't like ta watch that........but---this was 2,000 years ago and unfortunaetly, this is the sort of punishment that the Romans delt anyone who they thought was a threat to them.

After taking some religous courses at the local university, I really don't think the Jews had anywhere near as big a role in his death as what the NT leads us to believe......to read the NT, you'd think that Pontius Pilate was the ancient version of Mother Theresa, but we know full well from other historical documents that this just ain't so........but by the time the NT was started, the division between Messianic Jews and regular Jews was alot more pronounced. I think the MJ's thought it was in their best intrest to shift the blame from Rome to those Jews who didn't accept Jesus as the Messiah which is exactly what the NT reflects.

Be that as it may, the movie was ok, but if Mel Gibson hadn't directed it and if you took away the controversy and the whipping scenes, the movie wud've bombed at the box office..........just my opinion.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit