What would happen if a JW did this?

by Maverick 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Maverick
    Maverick

Let me tell you a story and you decide what the Society would do if a member of the borg did this.

A brother tells the Elders one of the brothers in their Hall is a member of the YMCA. The Elders assign a qualified brother to check out this accusation. This qualified brother meets informally with the accused and asks him if in fact he is a member of the YMCA and he denies it. Being a well respected man the matter is dropped. The other brother, seeing nothing being done, goes back to the Elders and asks what has happened, they tell him but he assures them the man is in fact a member of the YMCA. They go and ask the other brother again if he is sure he is not a member of this organization? He explains to them that after being asked he went and check and sure enough he was a member. His story is that his brother-in-law got the membership for him without his knowledge, but he has withdrawn from that organization. They are not happy with him but let the matter go.

The other brother seeing nothing is done goes and inquires of the matter before the Elders again. They tell him that the situation is handled and it was a case of the accused brother not knowing he had a YMCA membership. This brother explains that the reason he knew of the membership was because he saw that brother leaving the YMCA so in fact this man had to know he was a member.

They go back to the accused man with this information. He tells them his Doctor told him to get therapy for a car accident he was in and he just used the pool at the Y.

What would the Elders do to this man who had lied to them?

The WTS being associated with the UN is very much like this story.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Great post Mav... very good question...

FMZ

• kls
    kls

Good thinking Mav and i hope the lurking jws see this.

• squinks
    squinks

You mean he just did it for the library, oops I mean the therapy?

• blondie
    blondie

There are several scenarios; two might be:

One, if the man going to the YMCA has good friends on the elder body, they may tell him privately that he can keep going just be more careful not to be seen and not to renew his membership.

Two, if this is the only easily accessible pool in the area, they may put the responsibility back on the doctor. Much the same way that the WTS handled alternative service for years. If the court sentenced you to alternative service (doctor prescribed pool therapy), then you could accept it but you could not choose alternative service without being DF'd.

Blondie

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    Maverick: His story is that his brother-in-law got the membership for him without his knowledge, but he has withdrawn from that organization.

Your story was very close to reality, except they have never stated it was done without their knowledge. It is an easy thing to claim, but they haven't claimed that.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

My grandmother was told by her doctor after surgery to use the YMCA pool aquactics programs as a form of rehab, she even gets the membership free through her insurance co. So she has been a couple of times. I don't think they know it's a no-no for JW's I will ask her today and see what kinda of a response I get from her. It's really stupid as it's a great gym and I myself am a member and I have yet to see anything religious in your face there, so whats the big deal?

DL76

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Today, it would actually not be a no-no because the YMCA and the YWCA are no longer affiliated with religious organizations. At least I think it would no longer be a no-no.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Depends on what New is received by the FDS regarding the matter.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit