Jeopardy = CT Russell and Russellites clue.... 5-may-05

by BrendaCloutier 4 Replies latest social entertainment

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I think it was a double-jeopardy round clue. It had to do with CT Russells former followers who were known as Russellites. Wanted to know what they are known as now. No one even guessed!

Of course I piped up and said "Who are Jehovah's Witnesses" and Kev was amazed.

Three's Company, The Simpson's, and now Jeopardy. JW's are becoming mainstream.....

• Terry
    Terry
    I think it was a double-jeopardy round clue. It had to do with CT Russells former followers who were known as Russellites. Wanted to know what they are known as now. No one even guessed!

Just think of the millions of hours of knocking doors to raise the householder's level of awareness and how UTTERLY THE MESSEGE HAS FAILED.

Jehovah's Witnesses are the butt of a joke; a speck of trivia in a sea of nuttiness and nothing more. In their own minds they are the very center of attention as God's beloved.

Such is the dislocation of their minds! To the world at large they are a petty annoyance or a footnote to a cult beginning.

Terry

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

The correct answer should have been the many splinter groups of the IBSA.

LOL The JWs even have Alex Trebek buffaloed in to thinking they are the followers of the CT Russel movement.

• watch_out
    watch_out

LOL - I caught that too! Terry said - 'a speck of trivia' - and that's what went through my mind - no one knew the answer because it's only relevant to JW's.... who else xares what their history is? lol!

I saw an X-Files episode once that involved a particular wheat mold poisoning, but they thought at first the guy was 'possessed'. A dressed-up man and woman came to the guy's door passing out magazines - because of copyright laws, I suppose, the mags didn't have the official logos. I can't remember all the details, but he was delusional and was telling himself, "that Jehovah's Witness babe wanted you!" My hubby called me 'a jw babe' from then on. Ah, but no more - just 'a babe', thank you very much!

• luna2
    luna2

Witnesses are good fodder for comedians too.

I specificly remember an SNL skit about the Land Shark where JW's were the punchline....Land Shark poses as delivery/salesmen type people to get young women to open their doors whereupon he eats them, this happens three times. The final young women gets a knock on her door and the voice identifies itself as a JW with Watchtowers. She's too smart to fall for that, grabs a bat or something to bash the LS with when she opens the door, and hits a Witness who falls to the floor, Watchtowers flying. Hahahahahaha...much funnier than actually hitting the Land Shark.

The joke that really got to me, though, was told by a stand-up comedian who's name I can't remember. He talked about JW's coming to his door, giving their spiel and concluding with "...but sir, don't you want to live forever on a paradise earth?" His response was, "Not if I have to live with people like you."

I agree, Terry, not much to show for over a hundred years of preaching door to door.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit