Golfing--1st time

by Banshee 9 Replies latest social physical

• Banshee
    Banshee

I went golfing for the first time, today. I had a great time! The golf course was beautiful, the day was cool and breezy but sunny. I went with my husband and a couple from our church. My husband and Jessie (the other guy of our group) have both been playing golf for years and Janie (the other gal) has been playing off and on for a couple of years, I believe.

I think I had such a good time because none of them were particularly competitive or overly serious about the game. We were all pretty much out there to enjoy the day and have fun. Also, it helped that they all seemed genuinely surprised at how well I was doing my first time out (actually, I was surprised too!). Anyway, I had a terrific time and I am looking forward to doing it again soon. And, you know what? I think this is one of the positive things I'd never have experienced if I'd stayed a JW.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yes, my dad used to love golf...but because it takes 2 to 4 hours to play Dub's always made him feel bad about playing....including my mother. Why someone can't take 4 hours a week to have to themselves to enjoy life is beyond me. I TRULY HATE THE DUB's BORG.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

I absolutely love golf. Not much good at it, but as long as I make way for people to play through no one seems to mind. I can only get two clubs to cooperate though; the 5 and 9 irons. lol

J

• Sith
    Sith

golf - a nice walk f*cked up by a little white ball

• Banshee
    Banshee

Evil Force,

Yeah, isn't awful how we were always shamed about taking time to do anything nice or enjoyable for ourselves? Even now, twelve years after leaving the JW religion, I sometimes find myself feeling a little guilty for taking time for me or for doing something to take care of myself. It doesn't happen all of the time ( like it used to), just sometimes. Talk about some strong, unhealthy messages!!!

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Yep...enjoying youself...how selfish....you could use this time to bang on doors....UGH I HATE THEM!!!

• Golf
    Golf

Banshee good for you. You mean finally someone on this forum has given golf a pat on the back. The walk is great and you get to meet 'new' people and learn about them. The scenery is awesome, especially the private golf clubs.

As to the time element, how about 4-7 hours depending how backed-up the course is. Glad to hear your having fun, DON'T STOP!

Those who criticize the game have NO clue what their missing, NO clue!

Golf

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I like golf, Golf! But was too scared to own up until now. I have my own ladies set and a fantastic vintage 1950's golf bag. So I look great, until i take my swing and I am pants. I have not moved on from the 9 hole courses yet and only like to play when no one else is within 2 holes of my hole - that is not intended to sound vaguely smutty!

• Golf
    Golf

Crumpet, one of the best ways to learn is to go a driving range. Pick out spots telling you the yardage markers and select a club that would reach that particular marker.This will get you to know how far you can hit your individual clubs. This is like getting to know a person, ask questions. Oh, take into account the wind behind or in front of you because it makes a big difference. I'm talking about a day that has very little wind from either direction. Be careful of the side winds also.

I have a 1959 Walter Hagen irons and I paid $35.00 for them in 1964. I still use them. Its' knowing how to use your implements that matter.

Happy golfing.

Golf

• Banshee
    Banshee

Golf,

I totally agree....too many people underestimate what a great game golf is. I am eagerly awaiting my next go at it! Thanks for the PM. I will check that site out.

Crumpet,

Another lady who enjoys golf. Cool!Don't get discouraged about your game--just have fun! I do not even intend to keep score for a good while, since I think that would reduce my enjoyment right now.

I have to tell you guys how I even ended up agreeing to go golfing, in the first place. I made a deal with hubby that if he would learn to play videogames then I would learn to golf. For two years, he was seriously ill and could not get out golfing....so, now that he is better and the weather is warmer, I had to make good on my end of the deal. I never thought I would enjoy it so much! So, good deal all the way around....Oh yeah, and hubby discovered that he really digs playing videogames, too!

Thanks for all of the replies, everybody.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit