TOTA

by ArtfulDodger 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ArtfulDodger
    ArtfulDodger

What does "TOTA" mean . . and why should I "re-read the Bible from the beginning" because of that word ? I was told this by a JW visitor - but the word was never explained.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Welcome to JWD!

Does it mean "Total" in Latin or Greek or something? If so, maybe they are suggesting that as a JW, you only read the verses you were told to read. When you read the Bible "in total" you get a different take on it than the Watchtower teaches.

Here's a site that uses the word "Tota" in their name: http://www.totareformanda.org/index.php/about/

Unless they said "Toto", of course:

Dave

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

The Greek word is tote.

G5119

τότε

tote

tot'-eh

From (the neuter of) G3588 and G3753; the when, that is, at the time that (of the past or future, also in consecution): - that time, then.

No need to reread the Bible. Most people (non-JWs) caught the right understanding the first time through.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• mnb77
    mnb77

never see the word before, but i see reading the bible more or even over if read once before as an opportunity to find more stuff. sometimes scripture doesn't hit you the same time the second or third time through.

mnb77

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    mnb77: never see the word before

It is a Greek word. It is translated "then", "after that", "after these things", and "next" in most English translations. It indicates succession of events. Around 1994, Witnesses who are world renowned Greek scholars--just ask them---suddenly realized what the rest of the Bible reading world already figured out a long time ago. The word "tote" ( tot'-eh ) means at the point following a specific event in consecutive order, i.e. following immediately after.

They believe it is an extraordinary insight. Shhh. Don't spoil it for them.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

makes them sound like they know what they are talking about......annnnttttt wrong answer Bob

• bebu
    bebu
    They believe it is an extraordinary insight. Shhh. Don't spoil it for them.

LOL! You crack me up.

bebu

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Old Soul - many, MANY thanks for that. I have just heard the same but don't understand what it means to JW in the APPLICATION of this NEW word they've discovered (if other religions/scholars were already aware of something significant, why did God not reveal it to His Organisation? Was he giving Christendom a head-start? lol). Is it IN the Bible (in which case it's ALWAYS been there)? Is this what they call ''New Light''?

Anticipation. Midwich

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

If OldSoul has correctly interpreted what was told to ArtfulDodger, it's really funny how JWs can throw everyday Greek words (tote occurs at least 160 times in the NT) as magical formulae to the face of householders.

I was not aware of the 1994 fuss around tote (I had left years before), but it seems to have been confusing enough for the WT to issue the following corrective QFR in 1996 (7/15):

I

understand that the Greek word "to´te" (then) is used to introduce what follows. So why does Matthew 24:9 read: "Then ["to´te"] people will deliver you up to tribulation," whereas the parallel account at Luke 21:12 says: "But before all these things people will lay their hands upon you and persecute you"?

It is correct that to´te can be used to introduce something that follows, something in sequence, so to speak. But we need not understand that this is the only Biblical use of the word.

A

Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, by Bauer, Arndt, and Gingrich, shows that the word to´te is used in two basic senses in the Scriptures.

One is "at that time." This can be "of the past then." An example given is Matthew 2:17: "Then that was fulfilled which was spoken through Jeremiah the prophet." This is not referring to something in a series but indicates a particular point in the past, at that time. Similarly, to´te can be used "of the fut[ure] then." One instance is found at 1 Corinthians 13:12: "For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known." Paul here used to´te in the sense of ?at that future point.?

According to this lexicon, the other usage of to´te is "to introduce that which follows in time." This lexicon gives many examples found in the three accounts of Jesus? answer to the apostles? question about the sign of his presence. As examples of the use of to´te "to introduce that which follows in time," the lexicon cited Matthew 24:10, 14, 16, 30; Mark 13:14, 21; and Luke 21:20, 27. Considering the context shows why something subsequent in time is rightly understood. And this is helpful in getting the sense of Jesus? prophecy that contained the development of future events.

However, we need not conclude that every instance of to´te in these accounts must strictly introduce what follows in time. For instance, at Matthew 24:7, 8, we read that Jesus foretold that nation would rise against nation and that there would be food shortages and earthquakes. Verse 9 continues: "Then people will deliver you up to tribulation and will kill you, and you will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name." Would it be reasonable to understand that the foretold wars, food shortages, and earthquakes must all occur, and perhaps cease, before the persecution could begin?

That is not logical, nor is it borne out by what we know of the first-century fulfillment. The account in the book of Acts reveals that almost immediately after members of the new Christian congregation began preaching, they experienced serious opposition. (Acts 4:5-21; 5:17-40) We certainly cannot say that all the wars, famines, and earthquakes that Jesus spoke of happened prior to that early persecution. On the contrary, that opposition came "before" many of the other things foretold, which is in accord with the way Luke phrased matters: "But before all these things people will lay their hands upon you and persecute you." (Luke 21:12) That would suggest that at Matthew 24:9, to´te is used more in the sense of "at that time." During the period of the wars, famines, and earthquakes, or at that time, the followers of Jesus would be persecuted.

[Footnote]

These parallel accounts in Matthew, Mark, and Luke were set out in columns on pages 14 and 15 of The Watchtower of February 15, 1994. The instances of to´te, rendered "then," were in bold type.

WT "scholars" running to BAG (Bauer-Arndt-Gingrich) to escape the consequences of their previous pseudo-scholarship (trying to squeeze a generic "then" into a definite technical sense to suit their "prophetic" agenda).
  • OldSoul
    OldSoul
    OldSoul: The word "tote" ( tot'-eh ) means at the point following a specific event in consecutive order, i.e. following immediately after.

Thanks, Narkissos. I apologize. I should have specified: according to them, the word means "following immediately after". At least according to their "revealed" understanding of Matthew 24, Mark 13, and Luke 21. A JW gave me a database of the occurences of tote in the Greek Septuagint. It is supposed to "change your whole outlook on Bible prophecy." Didn't do crap for mine. I already knew the "revealed" understanding of prophecy is a load of dingo's kidneys.

For fun, check out:

w94 2/15 p. 8 "What Will Be the Sign of Your Presence?" *** *** w94 2/15 p. 16 "Tell Us, When Will These Things Be?" ***

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit