Did this annoy anyone else? JWs cover things you know.

by Oxnard Hamster 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

I never became a witness. I only studied with them for about two years before I left. Anyway, as many of you know, they start new recruits off with the brochure "What Does God Require of Us?" The brochure essentially outlines their core beliefs, as well as dos and don'ts.

However, I already abstained from several of their donts, like smoking and gambling, yet the guy made me go through the lesson anyway. Did this annoy anybody else? Did they make you study lessons you already knew? What's the point of telling me not to smoke when I made up my mind a long time ago that I never would? It's like my beliefs aren't good enough. It's like I would do it anyway unless they told me not to.

It's too bad I didn't pick up on that red flag right away, or I could've saved myself some trouble.

• donald
    donald

wellits called repitition...the jws use it over and over and over and over again.....i was born and rasied in the truth...baptized in 1975 (hmmm does that year sound familar )...and i still got the doctronie points giving to me...........even when i became a minstreial servant.....i still got the points fed to me...its what they do......donald

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Well, you were worldly and you shouldn't avoid those things because of the health risks, you should avoid them because you love Jehovah. Self-preservation is a selfish motive that could lead to taking blood, or killing someone in self-defense.

What's that you say? The reason to avoid smoking is because it makes you dirty? Oh! So it is for health risks!

And serving for everlasting life is a form of service for self-preservation? Wow!

And you can take most parts of the blood, just the tiniest fractions are off limits? I didn't know!

And it is okay to kill someone in self-defense as long as they are not killing you because you serve Jehovah? Oh. Well, then obviously this religion is becoming more mainstream and reasonable ... why do you suppose it takes itself so seriously?

Sardonically,
    OldSoul

• Oxnard Hamster
    Oxnard Hamster

So do they believe it's possible to do the right thing for the wrong reason? And if you do so, it's wrong?

• amused
    amused

If you do the right thing for the wrong reason, it's OK. It just doesn't count.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit