Sydney Court orders Blood transfusion for 16 yr old Leukemia patient

by Dark Knight 6 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Dark Knight
  • Stephanus
    Stephanus

While there are media reports overseas of Jehovah's Witness families and congregations "shunning" members who have received transfusions, Mr Maclean said in this case the treatment had been against the will of the family, and they would be supported.

"It is a matter of deeply held principle ... I think they would feel violated by such treatment, and that is how we think, of compassion for the boy that he was violated."

Grrrrrr! They feel that he's been "violated"!? FFS, they saved his life by giving him that transfusion!

I get the feeling things would be different if the boy had been violated in the KH toilets by a fellow Dub, with no other witnesses!!

• Dark Knight
    Dark Knight

I bet that deep down inside, those parents are relieved that their son is getting a transfusion.

• JW83
    JW83

I don't agree with not transfusing ... but a few pages on, a court in Florida, USA, said that a 13yo girl had the right to terminate her pregnancy. Double standards?!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Just catching up with the news.

Anyone notice the contradiction in this report? (highlighted in red)

Joseph's father gave the judge a statement from his son in which the teenager said he did not wish to receive a blood transfusion and that his parents treated him as an adult. Both parents told the judge that if he received a transfusion they would not condemn him, and would continue to "relate to him lovingly as their son".

Soon after 8.30pm Justice Gzell said the medical advice was that there was no alternative treatment. "I have no doubt ... that it is in Joseph's best interests that he have the blood transfusion. He will die otherwise. His life ought to be spared. Notwithstanding that he is over 16 years old and his wishes must be given serious consideration, he is still a child."

He authorised the hospital to begin a transfusion immediately.

A senior elder of the 60,000 strong Jehovah's Witnesses church in Australia, Don Maclean, said court intervention was very rare, but there had been cases where an adult's "no blood" instructions had been overridden, which had ended up in the courts.

While there are media reports overseas of Jehovah's Witness families and congregations "shunning" members who have received transfusions, Mr Maclean said in this case the treatment had been against the will of the family, and they would be supported.

So when Don MacLean says that "in this case" etc etc he must have overlooked that the media reveal the family were expecting something else.
  • JW83
    JW83

Hmmm, maybe the parents were secretly relieved that the court order was made.

btw - Welcome back, Ozzie!

• JW83
    JW83

Maybe Don Maclean was secretly relieved too - dead kids aren't good publicity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit