Just a question about love and religion

by skeptikchick 6 Replies latest social relationships

• skeptikchick
    skeptikchick

Was a relationship/ being in love with a person who was a non-JW a factor in fading from the JW religion for anyone out there, and if so... would you mind sharing your story. I really need to just get as much info as possible right now, as I am at a crossroads in my relationship and am searching for anything to give me hope. Please help! Thanks!

• Daunt
    Daunt

Me personally. When I was still believing in JWism, me liking another JW girl helped me to disbelieve in the doctrine (like many other things). She was depressed, her hair was falling out because she was so stressed, and nobody did anything to help her other than, "Go to the meetings and do all you can do". Just seeing that to a girl that I was highly infactuated with made me angry.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I know a Witness woman who married a Witness man who was having a sort of crisis of conscience. He quit the group and eventually she did too.

The trend is for the non Witness to influence the Witness in a way that results in the Witness leaving the group. Rarely does it work the other way around. The group leaders are aware of this fact. That's why there's a STRONG program of discouragement designed especially for Witnesses wanting to marry a non Witness.

• Daunt
    Daunt

lol garybuss from all the numerous accounts of wive's swaying their abusive husbands im finding that hard to believe. (Really is but since it is from the witnesses Im not having all that much of a hard time thinking that your claim is true).

• ex-chum
    ex-chum

1st post. Just my experience, but as a non Witness, I married one who obviously weak, because for 10 years I thought they were pretty harmless. Then we had a baby and she was instantly "strong" to raise the little guy right. And there goes the family, and from what I've learned here, my story is a dime a dozen. Not an easy thing to deal with, but going into it, I should have know what those people were all about.

• garybuss
    garybuss

ex-chum, Welcome! You connected with a believing walkaway. They leave and return, leave and return . . . .

If the Witnesses had a good history of members marrying non believers and converting them, that would be a standard way to recruit new members, belive me:-)

I would never recommend a person marry a believing Witness whether they were practicing or not. I have found more than a few believing walkaways to be stronger Witnesses that many practicing Witnesses. They have more internal disagreement to try to live with. Some castaways are extremely loyal even though they may have not practiced for decades.

I have found former Witnesses who have completed their exit recovery are fun and interesting. My favorite people.

A believing Witness makes for a very poor room mate for a rational person.

• love11
    love11

Skeptic and Ex- sorry to hear what you're going through. But I'm glad that you found this group of friends here.

Hopefully, things get better real soon for you guys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit