Readers want to know if it is proper for a Christian

by Honesty 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Honesty
    Honesty

To own stock in a corporation whose main interests are warfare technology?

• blondie
    blondie

I think the "tobacco" principle comes into play. If you work in a tobacco shop, that sells that product exclusively, you have to get a new job. But if you work in a store that sells many products and tobacco is just an incidental item, then it is up to your conscience.

So if you invest in mutual funds that choose tobacco product based companies as one out of many, you don't need to pull your portfolio. But if all your investments are in the one type of product, tobacco, time to sell out and buy something new.

This discussion is not just a JW one. Many universities and state government has restructured their investments, dropping tobacco, war weapons, governments with repressive standards, etc.

Just explaining, not supporting, BTW.

Everything is relative in the WTS structure when it comes to a "conscience" matter.

Blondie

• Honesty
    Honesty

Thankyou Blondie,

I know a company that owns a significant amount of stock in a company that is engaged in producing engines for unmanned military drones such as the Predator. I have no problem with owning stock in a similar venture but I would not condemn warfare if I did own a portion of the company's stock.

• loosie
    loosie

I think this question is worthy of being submitted in a letter to the WT society. See what they say they after getting a reply, take their response and the info about them owning stock in the Rand corp and taking out an ad in the paper with all that info in it.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere
    I think this question is worthy of being submitted in a letter to the WT society. See what they say they after getting a reply, take their response and the info about them owning stock in the Rand corp and taking out an ad in the paper with all that info in it.

I bet they don't respond.

-Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit