Handling atrocities.

by Daunt 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Daunt
    Daunt

As we all know one of the main reasons why the org has so much control over its members is because of it's use of fear. Today a CO was doing the usual craptacular talk about "The scene of this world is changing". Of course talking about different atrocities people of the world (Meaning whoevers not a witness does all these things and are not better than them) do. Like a kid slitting an old man's throat because he wanted to understand how it felt to kill a man. And another one with a Janitor killing 8 kids and a few other teachers then killing himself (Don't trust the crediblity of this statement). I tried my best to refute and ignore their attacks but after a while they were winning. How can you cope with this minority of ignorant people that ruin other people's lives. It feels as if I'm being inconsiderate when I try not to cry out loud for these people. The witnesses use these bad things to depress their acceptance of the real world and highten their love for their fantasy. Works pretty darn good for a lot of em. However, after not believing in the truth or in God it's hard to cope with the idiotic people. It feels selfish to just brush them off. Can anybody relate? Advice on how to cope with it is highly apreciated.

• avishai
    avishai

Well, here's the Irony. There looking forward to their god causing the death's of SIX BILLION PEOPLE !!!! Blood thirsty sonsabitches

• Daunt
    Daunt

Lol that's what I always tell myself avishai. They talk about the clergy's terrible genocides when their god is going to wipe out 99% of the earth. The clergy are saints compared to him.

• talesin
    talesin

To be honest, I find that trying to talk common sense on this one is virtually impossible. They believe that before 1960, there was virtually no violence, no murders, no rape. Wars were fought for a 'reason' (yah, money, just like now), etc. Oh yes, and natural disasters were rare before 1914!

Talking to a JW about this issue is like banging your head up against a brick wall. It feels so good when you stop!

t

ps. add to that the way that folks in general like to imagine how the 'good old days' were

• Frog
    Frog

don't have enough time to make a significant comment, but mostly my sentiments exactly on the culture of fear on the org used to justify their fantasies, and the moral paradox of violence in this world, against the prediction of upcoming mass slaughter which brings great shouts of joy from those in the org???...froglett

• avishai
    avishai
    To be honest, I find that trying to talk common sense on this one is virtually impossible. They believe that before 1960, there was virtually no violence, no murders, no rape. Wars were fought for a 'reason' (yah, money, just like now), etc. Oh yes, and natural disasters were rare before 1914!

Talking to a JW about this issue is like banging your head up against a brick wall. It feels so good when you stop!

t

ps. add to that the way that folks in general like to imagine how the 'good old days' were

Tahnks, i needed my laugh for the mornining. I forgot how dubs like to forget things like, oh, recorded history.

• Daunt
    Daunt

well ya the org isn't all that great. But was wondering about you guys' techniques on handling the messed up things people do sometime.

• talesin
    talesin

My pleasure, Avi. ;)

I'm sorry, Daunt. I misunderstood your question.

Used to be, when I heard about tragic or violent things, I would get quite wrapped up in the sadness and trauma. I focussed on the negative, and thought "the world is so bad". But you know what? Really good things happen all the time. Random acts of kindness are just as common as random acts of violence. No, they are more common!

Life is full of lots of good and bad stuff. Know that these horrific things are the extreme, just as are the miracles, and the norm is not quite so awful or dramatic. It's just life.

That's how I deal with it. Hope I got your gist this time.

t

• Daunt
    Daunt

Thanks talesin. Ya when i look back on everything, I haven't really experienced an atrocity in many years. And even then it wasn't really an atrocity it was more like a down moment in my life. Just being around people that seem to love things going badly kind of puts you in that frame of mind also. Thanks talesin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit