District Assembly Time

by ljwtiamb 2 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ljwtiamb
    ljwtiamb

jws go through such efforts to make sure that the wts image is upheld in their convention cities:

1. Dress nice
    2. Tip well
    3. Keep the kids inline
    4. Clean up the stadium/colisseum/site (before & after)
    5. etc.

jws are super hugging and loving at the convention sites, but can't stand each other in the local kh.

my questions are:

1. do any other groups (religious or otherwise), get these kind of pep talks?
    2. does anyone even notice (wt assemblies don't get the press that they used to)
  • blondie
    blondie
    jws are super hugging and loving at the convention sites, but can't stand each other in the local kh.

Only to some JWs that they already know in the congregation, past congregation, through contacts visiting congregations when the hubbies give talks, or if they are looking for a mate and this is a likely prospect.

Otherwise if you are a complete stranger to them, despite your lapel card, if you talk to them and try to engage them in conversation, they will give you the brush off, "Oh, we have to go meet some friends." My husband, a new JW who came in as an adult, was stunned at the response. So the hugging and the loving fits this scripture. And rest assured if JWs snub you at the KH they will do the same at the convention

For if YOU love those loving YOU, what reward do YOU have? Are not also the tax collectors doing the same thing? 47 And if YOU greet YOUR brothers only, what extraordinary thing are YOU doing? Are not also the people of the nations doing the same thing? MATTHEW 5:46-47

Blondie

• blondie
    blondie

1. do any other groups (religious or otherwise), get these kind of pep talks?
    2. does anyone even notice (wt assemblies don't get the press that they used to)

1. Pep talks = religious groups and otherwise

If people feel they have something that benefits others, they tend to publicize it, either to a group or individually. Do they treat them like children, detailing what proper behavior is, I don't think so.

But then I haven't been a long-time member of a Lutheran church, Catholic church, Mormon stake, etc., and attended their conferences.

2. Not the press they used to

Partly this is because most conventions are smaller now, not the large groups 40,000 to 50,000 as in the past. I attended one concvention that had almost 120,000 there on Sunday years ago. I don't think they have had large ones since the 1980's except for a few ones at places such as the Silverdome and the Astrodome.

Many other religions have conferences of similar size today. I noticed that at the same facility, the Lutherans and the Baptists had similar conferences, with speakers and invites to the public.

The brothers in the press area micromanage the reporters and have prepared info from the WTS. The only response from a non-JW co-worker was a question about the change to Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses rather than Watchtower on the sign outside the facility. Could I tell him that it was a change in corporations that prompted the change not a desire to identify more closely with Christ?

The local brothers in charge of the press do submit a press release to the newspapers and to tv stations. As a courtesy they will sometimes print a small article buried on the religion page. I haven't seen tv coverage for years. It is too bad that a TV segment on silentlambs or the changing blood issue isn't possible the same week of a convention. Or an ad inviting people to call 1-800-WHY-1914 for more info on the WTS.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit