Men in the Passenger Seat / Questions 4 Women Drivers

by prophecor 9 Replies latest jw friends

• prophecor
    prophecor

Anyone ever notice new couples, the woman who's doing the driving while the man has to assume the position of passive passenger? Call me crazy, OK, my wife does, all the time, but are you able to detect a sense of minimal self esteem issues when watching him. You can almost always tell when it's not his car, there's an entirely different demeanor to his persona, he appears submissive, more humble.

If you're an un-married woman in a near to new relationship and you own your own car, how long does it take before you allow your new beau to drive it, if at all, especially if he doesn't own his own car? Are there requirements he must meet before you will allow him to drive your car, such as emotional connectedness, evidence of commitment? Does your car hold a sense of power over him in your relationship? The keys to freedom start at the turn of many an ignition switch.

Do guys feel a sense of powerlessness when they are not sitting in the driver's seat, or can theses inflatable egos be sucessfully managed?

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Never really gave it much thought. Usually, I drive when we take my car and hubby drives when we take his.

If I don't feel good or are tired and we are in my car, if hubby offers to drive it's not a problem, in fact it's appreciated.

This arrangement never seemed to bother him... Interesting, I'll have to ask him...

J

• datsdethspicable
    datsdethspicable

My boyfriend(5 yrs) is a state trooper. When he is a passenger in my car, all I hear is what violations he would love to write me up for. He even makes the stupid siren noise sometimes.

If anyone asks to drive my car or borrow it, I ask if they paid my insurance this month. Then that is the answer.

• blondie
    blondie

I saw that issue illustrated on an episode of JAG recently. The female investigator picked up the JAG investigator who immediately thought he was going to take over the driving. She said, "nope, this is my baby," an older vintage car, "I don't anyone drive my baby." You could tell the male character was perturbed but he had to let her drive, after all it was her car.

My husband likes to drive so I let him. It wouldn't matter if it were a guy in the passenger seat. What I won't do is get in the back seat when we pick up another couple so the other husband/boyfriend can sit up front. I have gotten looks for doing that.

But then I know a JW couple, where the wife always drove. The husband was razzed a lot by the brothers, that he wasn't exerting his headship. He would just say that she was the better driver.

Blondie

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I cannot drive with my husband in the car. It is too much drama. He has to be in control and he drives me crazy with his front seat driving if he is not behind the wheel. When we were dating we just always went in his car. I don't remember him driving mine much at all... He drives whether we are in his or my car now because I guess we consider them both to be our cars.

Granted... I do have a hard time with the fact that he stops at the last minute and he constantly drives in people's blind spots. But it is otherwise much more peaceful if I am in the passenger seat when he is in the car.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well, I'm a biker and regularly take all kinds of friends on the back. It would take a hell of a lot for me to hand the keys over to a man or a woman - in fact I can't see myself ever doing it.

• Soledad
    Soledad

If you're an un-married woman in a near to new relationship and you own your own car, how long does it take before you allow your new beau to drive it, if at all, especially if he doesn't own his own car?
    ummmmm..........been married for 5 years and HUBBY IS STILL VERY FAR FROM GETTING THOSE KEYS!

• Honesty
    Honesty

Do guys feel a sense of powerlessness when they are not sitting in the driver's seat, or can theses inflatable egos be sucessfully managed?
    I like to be a passenger.... lay back, crank up the tunes, close my eyes and never worry about the traffic problems. It's almost like being in a recliner with a built-in vibrator.

• love11
    love11

are you able to detect a sense of minimal self esteem issues when watching him. You can almost always tell when it's not his car, there's an entirely different demeanor to his persona, he appears submissive, more humble.

I drive our car, and my husband is far from weak. In fact, I taught him how to drive since he grew up in the inner city and always took the L train or the bus, no need for a car.

His eyes are bad and he wants me to drive because he can't see at night or in bright sunlight.

I think that is an old- fashioned idea that is just not so for most modern relationships.

• lilbit
    lilbit

My dont like my driving being picked apart ( My hubby was a cop before he went back into the airforce) so I just let him drive less headaches for me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit