Why You Shouldn't Be A Christian?

by Big Jim 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Why You Shouldn't Be A Christian?
    by Steven Morris, Ph.D.
    Los Angeles Harbor College,
    Wilmington, CA

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many Christians assume that "morality" and "Christian morality" are the same thing, and that the Bible contains clear moral guidelines that only savages could disagree with. Fundamentalists insist that every word of the Bible is literally true, and the Christian Right wants to rewrite this country's Constitution and its laws to make America a Christian nation based on the Bible. Yet few Christians actually read the Bible. Instead, they let ministers and money-hungry evangelists selectively quote the Bible to their own advantage, ignoring the many absurdities, atrocities and historical falsehoods that the Bible contains. Before you let others make up your mind for you, read what the Bible really says:
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things. Isaiah 45:7
    Would you worship a god who creates evil?
    The Lord will be terrible unto them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth; Zephaniah 2:11
    The Bible itself says that there are many gods, not just Jehovah!
    This is polytheism; do you believe it?
    Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, ... and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven ... This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled. Matthew 24:29,30,34
    That generation passed away centuries ago. Jesus made a false prophecy, making him a false prophet, and the Bible forbids you from following a false prophet. And how can the stars fall from the sky? Our ignorant ancestors thought the stars were little lamps hanging from the firmament, but how could this alleged god not know the truth?
    And he (Jesus) said ... these signs shall follow them that believe ... if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. Mark 16:15,17,18
    Jesus was wrong! Believers are just as susceptible to poison as anybody else, and the hospitals are full. Christians are willing enough to waste your time and take your money, but not one of them can
    pass the test their own god set for them.
    If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26
    Are you willing to hate your wife, or be hated by your husband? Are these traditional family values?
    And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, Matthew 1:16
    Jesus ... the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli, Luke 3:23
    Joseph had two fathers? One of these two statements has to be a lie. If the New Testament cannot be trusted in something this simple, it cannot be trusted at all.
    Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven:
    Matthew 5:12 - But according to Ecclesiastes 9:5, "the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward".
    Is there an afterlife? As usual, the Bible's answer is yes, and no.
    Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help. Psalms 146:3
    "Son of man" was Jesus' most frequently-used title for himself. Here we have the Old Testament warning us not to trust the central character of the New Testament!
    But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; Matthew 6:6
    If Christians won't obey Jesus, then neither should you.
    To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: ... A time to kill, and a time to heal; Ecclesiastes 3:1,3
    Yet "Thou shalt not kill", Exodus 20:13!
    On this crucial issue the Bible is self-contradictory, and useless as a guide to action.
    Therefore thou shalt love the Lord thy God, and keep his charge, and his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments, alway. Deuteronomy 11:1
    No exceptions, and that includes not eating pork! Would you keep the two statutes given below?
    When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her. Deuteronomy 25:11,12
    A woman coming to the aid of her husband must be brutally mutilated. Do you agree, or will you let others pick and choose what to believe, and let them demand that you obey their selections?
    If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man hath lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silver, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, Deuteronomy 22:28,29
    A woman is forced to marry her rapist! Is that moral?
    But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Timothy 2:12
    If the Christian Right succeeds in forcing Biblical laws upon America, this passage will relegate women to the most menial, bottom-of-the-
    ladder jobs.
    Then the Lord said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of naught, and the deceit of their heart. Jeremiah 14:14
    Twenty-one of the thirty-nine Old Testament books were written by prophets, who we are told canĀ¹t be trusted!
    Menahem smote Tiphsah, and all that were therein, ... and all the women therein that were with child he ripped up. 2 Kings 15:16
    Menahem was a king of Israel! Can the pro-lifers explain the morality of this?
    And David ... brought out the people that were in it, and cut them with saws, and with harrows of iron, and with axes. Even so dealt David with all the cities of the children of Ammon. 1 Chronicles 20:2,3 - Saws are not weapons of war, but instruments of torture, used in the genocide of the Ammonites. Yet: "David did that which was right in the eyes of the Lord ... save only in the matter of Uriah the Hittite", 1Kings 15:5.
    Are you willing to accept torture and genocide as moral behavior?
    Melchisedec, ... Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Hebrews 7: 1,3
    Here is a man who was never born, and can never die! Show him to us, or admit that your Bible contains nonsense.
    Hath he not sent me to the men that sit upon the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you? Isaiah 36:12

Where are the book-burners? Let the Christians first clean up the violence and filth of their own "Good" Book, before complaining about the books and movies that you have the freedom to enjoy.

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

Being a Christian is being like Jesus Christ. Can you amagine that the whole world will be like him?

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Another great post. I have a question on this one -

The Lord will be terrible unto them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth; Zephaniah 2:11
    The Bible itself says that there are many gods, not just Jehovah!
    This is polytheism; do you believe it?

If there are other gods, and Jah made everything, then didn't He make the other gods? Why make rivals for yourself and then punish people who followed the rivals you made?

Just another thing that doesn't make sense.

Silverleaf

• JW72
    JW72

Fred, A world full of people like Jesus Christ would be very boring, don't ya think???

I like the fact that everyone's different and sometimes a little devilish!!

Love

Chris

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

JW72,

By reading the life story of Christ, it seems to me that he had a very exciting life.

• JW72
    JW72

Exactly Fred, HE had an exciting life, he was special, if everyone was like that, it wouldn't have been as special, if everyone was like him.

Love

Chris

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

FredHall

So I suppose the ideal life for you is one where you never get laid.

I always thought you were sort of queer.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Hello, Fred
    What was so exciting about Jessie's life?
    Not making miracles. Only making Jonah's miracle.
    Calling children dogs.
    Saying that he came to save the Jews.
    He kept all the law, but worked on Saturdays which was forbidden under penalty of death.
    Etc. Etc. Etc.

JRP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit