Darwin's Views On Religion

by Big Jim 0 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Darwin's Views On Religion
    by Al Seckel and John Edwards

The genius of Charles Darwin (1809-1882) is well-established, for he was one of the primary
    founders of modern science. His ideas changed the world-view of human and animal origins. His influence is now prominent in biology, sociology, philosophy and theology. Until recently, many of his views on religion were suppressed.
    In his old age Darwin wrote down his recollections for his own amusement and for his children.
    This Autobiography was first published in 1887 (posthumously) as part of Life and Letters of Charles Darwin. His wife Emma and his son Francis edited the book and omitted Darwin's more
    unorthodox thoughts on religion for fear of causing offense and injuring his reputation.
    It was not until 1958 that Nora Barlow, Darwin's granddaughter, published a revised edition of
    the Autobiography containing all of the previous omissions. This leaflet contains quotations from
    his Autobiography which reveal valuable insights he gained during his life and his work on the
    most important principle in biology.
    Evolving Disbelief
    "Whilst on board the Beagle (October 1836-January 1839) I was
    quite orthodox, and I remember being heartily laughed at by several of the officers (though
    themselves orthodox) for quoting the Bible as an unanswerable authority on some point of morality. I suppose it was the novelty of the argument that amused them. But I had gradually come, by this
    time, to see that the Old Testament; from its manifestly false history of the world, with the Tower of Babel, the rainbow as a sign, etc., etc., and from its attributing to God the feelings of a revengeful tyrant, was no more to be trusted than the sacred books of the Hindoos, or the beliefs of any barbarian." p.85
    "By further reflecting that the clearest evidence would be requisite to make any sane man believe
    in the miracles by which Christianity is supported, --that the more we know of the fixed laws of
    nature the more incredible, do miracles become, --that the men at that time were ignorant and
    credulous to a degree almost incomprehensible by us, --that the Gospels cannot be proved to
    have been written simultaneously with the events, --that they differ in many important details, far
    too important as it seemed to me to be admitted as the usual inaccuracies of eyewitness; --by such reflections as these, which I give not as having the least novelty or value, but as they influenced
    me, I gradually came to disbelieve in Christianity as a divine revelation. The fact that many false
    religions have spread over large portions of the earth like wild-fire had some weight with me.
    Beautiful as is the morality of the New Testament, it can hardly be denied that its perfection
    depends in part on the interpretation which we now put on metaphors and allegories." p86
    "Thus disbelief crept over me at a very slow rate, but at last was complete. The rate was so slow
    that I felt no distress, and have never since doubted even for a single second that my conclusion
    was correct." p.87
    "I can indeed hardly see how anyone ought to wish Christianity to be true; for if so the plain
    language of the text seems to show that the men who do not believe, and this would include my
    Father, Brother and almost all my best friends, will be everlastingly punished. And this is a
    damnable doctrine." p87
    The Design Argument "The old argument of design in nature, as given by Paley, which formerly
    seemed to me so conclusive, fails, now that the law of natural selection had been discovered. We can no longer argue that, for instance, the beautiful hinge of a bivalve shell must have been made by an intelligent being, like the hinge of a door by man. There seems to be no more design in the variability of organic beings and in the action of natural selection, than in the course which the
    wind blows. Everything in nature is the result of fixed laws." p.87
    Existence Of Suffering
    "That there is much suffering in the world no one disputes. Some have attempted to explain this
    in reference to man by imagining that it serves for his moral improvement. But the number of
    men in the world is as nothing compared with that of all the other sentient beings, and these other
    suffer greatly without any moral improvement. A being so powerful and so full of knowledge as
    a God who could create the universe, is to our finite minds omnipotent and omniscient, and it
    revolts our understanding to suppose his benevolence is not unbounded, for what advantage can
    there be in the sufferings of millions of the lower animals throughout almost endless time? This
    very old argument from the existence of suffering against the existence of an intelligent first cause seems to me a strong one; whereas, as just remarked, the presence of much suffering agrees well with the view that all organic beings have developed through variation and natural selection." p.90

The Existence Of God
    "At the present day (ca. 1872) the most usual argument for the existence of an intelligent God is
    drawn from the deep inward conviction and feelings which are experienced by moat persons. But
    it cannot be doubted that Hindoos, Mahomadans and others might argue in the same manner and
    with equal force in favor of the existence of one God, or of many Gods, or as with the Buddists
    of no God...This argument would be a valid one if all men of all races had the same inward
    conviction of the existence of one God: but we know that this is very far from being the case.
    Therefore I cannot see that such inward convictions and feelings are of any weight as evidence of
    what really exists." p.91
    "Nor must we overlook the probability of the constant inculcation in a belief in God on the minds
    of children producing so strong and perhaps as inherited effect on their brains not yet fully
    developed, that it would be as difficult for them to throw off their belief in God, as for a monkey
    to throw off its instinctive fear and hatred of a snake." p.93

Suggested Reading:

Darwin, Charles. The Autobiography of Charles Darwin with original omissions restored.
    New York, Norton, 1969.

Brent, Peter. Charles Darwin. New York, Harper and Row, 1981.

Dawkins, Richard, The Blind Watchmaker, W.W. Norton Company, New York, London,
    1987. This is one of the best books explaining evolution and it includes evolution software.

Golde, Pete, Darwin: Multimedia CD-ROM for MACs and PCs, Lightbinders, Inc. San
    Francisco, CA (415) 621-5746.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit