"Lord" meaning Jesus switched to "Jehovah" in the NWT?

by ithinkisee 4 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

I read somewhere on this board in that past that there were numerous examples in the Greek Scriptures in the NWT where the Society translated "Lord" that obviously meant Jesus to the name Jehovah to avoid problems with "Trinity" doctrinal issues.

Can someone point me to some research or examples regarding this. I Googled JWD but didn't really come up with anything.

Thanks,

ithinkisee

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

This may help you:
    The Name "Jehovah" in the New World Translation

Here is the home page which may also be of some interest to you:
    Jehovah's Witnesses: A Critical Analysis

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Just one example:

"And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls on the name of Yahweh shall be saved. For in Mount Zion and in Jerusalem there shall be those who escape, as Yahweh has said, and among the survivors shall be those whom Yahweh calls" (Joel 2:32).
    "If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. For the Scripture says, 'Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.' For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. For 'everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved' "(Romans 10:9-13).
  • robhic
    robhic

This might help. From their own writings:

The Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures,

1969 , p. 11: THE DIVINE NAME: One of the remarkable facts, not only about the extant manuscripts of the original Greek text, but of many versions, ancient and modern, is the absence of the divine name... [Comments about divine name in OT]...As the Christian Greek Scriptures were an inspired addition and supplement to the sacred Hebrew Scriptures, this sudden disappearance from the Greek text seems inconsistent... (Says who?)

Also:

*** it-2 p. 9 Jehovah *** (Insight on the Scriptures book 2)

In

the Christian Greek Scriptures. In view of this evidence it seems most unusual to find that the extant manuscript copies of the original text of the Christian Greek Scriptures do not contain the divine name in its full form.

The Watchtower March 1, 1991 p. 28:

God's Personal Name

At Luke 4:18, according to the New World Translation, Jesus applied to himself a prophecy in Isaiah, saying: "Jehovah's spirit is upon me." (Isaiah 61:1) Many object to the use of the name Jehovah here. It is, however, just one of the more than 200 places where that name appears in the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures, the so-called New Testament. True, no early surviving Greek manuscript of the "New Testament" contains the personal name of God. But the name was included in the New World Translation for sound reasons, not merely on a whim. And others have followed a similar course. In the German language alone, at least 11 versions use "Jehovah" (or the transliteration of the Hebrew, "Yahweh") in the text of the "New Testament," while four translators add the name in parentheses after "Lord." More than 70 German translations use it in footnotes or commentaries.

• mnb77
    mnb77

Look at Psalm 110:1 "The LORD siad unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, unitl I make thine enemies they footstool." (King James Vesion)

Here it is only necessary to look at the text closer. Most translations render thr Hebrew tetragrammaton YHWH as "the LORD" (all caps), who is talking to the Psalmist's "Lord"(both cap and lower case), the Messiah. this does not disprove the trinity. The NT records many conversations between Jesus and the Father. The Bible reveals that the father is God (John 6:27) and that the son is God (ISA 9:6, John 20:28) yet ther is only one God (1 Cor. 8:4) Although this seems to contradict everyday human logic, are we right to assume that God must fit into the logical patterens with which we are familiar in the world around us? He is from the realms above; we are from the realms below. His ways are beyond our full understanding.

If there is still problem with the Father talking to the Son, look at Gen 18 and 19 in the New World Translation, here Jehovah appeared to Abraham as 3 men or angels. (18:1-2) Abraham addressed the thres as Jehovah (gen 18:3) Two left abraham and went toward the city of Sodom, but Abraham continued to address the reamianing individual as Jehovah (gen 18:22, 19:1). When the other two reached Sodom and spoke with Lot, he addressed the two of them as Jehovah (gen 19:18). And when the city of Sodom was destroyed, the NWT says at Gen 19:24: "Then Jehovah made it rain sulpher and fire from Jehovah, from the heavens..." So unless the JW want to claim there is more than one Jehovah, they will hve to admit that God can be in more than one place at the same time, and that he can hold simultaneous conversations with different people in different places. this can help grasp the Father talking to the Son with out calling into question the diety of Christ.

mnb77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit