Jehovah is not the only god #73

by OlderTom 4 Replies latest jw friends

• OlderTom
    OlderTom

Think about it, I think it's Jahveh's first commandment.

Thou shalt have no other gods besides me.... or words to that effect. Look it up if you like.

So God is admitting that there are other gods besides him.

How then can he claim that he is the almighty alpha and omega? The one and only, el suprimo?

He is clearly acknowledging that he is not the one and only god, If he was, the commandment to have him as the one and only god would be completely un-neccessary.

If I am the one and only OderTom and I know it, why would I need to warn my subordinats not to worship any other OlderTom's?

Is God a little confused perhaps? Me thinks Moses made it up on the way to the mountain and didn't give it much thought.

What kind of bush was he burning up there?

For 5 thousand years nobody noticed the contradiction?

How many other suspect stories did we swallow without thinking about it first?

I mean to say if your daughter Mary (not her real name) came home, anounced she was pregnant and her boyfried (Joe) didn't do it, Who would swallow the story she was impregnated by the holy ghost?

Think!!

• cecil
    cecil

Hi OlderTom.

I think its obvious: Jahveh didn't want anybody to make anything else a god. By worshipping anything else than Jahveh or giving anything else the place in ones life that was Jahvehs, one would create a god/gods beside him.

cecil

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

Hey anyone here remember a verse in the old testament that talks about some invading jewish army killing a foreign god? The JW explanation was that they just destroyed the idols and stuff..but it sure seems to me that in the Old Testament, the exsistance of other gods was not in question...like the egyptian gods. (Yahweh your god is a jealous god..jealous of idols? or other gods?)

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

>Hey anyone here remember a verse in the old testament that talks about some invading jewish army killing a foreign god? The JW explanation was that they just destroyed the idols and stuff..but it sure seems to me that in the Old Testament, the exsistance of other gods was not in question...like the egyptian gods. (Yahweh your god is a jealous god..jealous of idols? or other gods?)

It seems evident that the other gods were demons. Remember the powers of the various magic-users and priests following various gods? The term 'Jealous' is in reference to Yahweh demanding exclusive worship of Him alone. Angels are actually a 'lower' form of life than (perfect) man. Man is in God's image, Angels are not.
    Man is the 'crowning acheivement' of creation and it was Satan's own jealous heart that envyied the lofty status of man.
    Angels are not offered redemption for their fall, they will reside in the eternity of hell along with the souls of mankind who are not called to God.
    Rex

• Faraon
    Faraon

From http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/gods.html
    Bolds and italics are mine.
    Gen.1:26
    "And God said, let us make man in our image."
    Gen.3:22
    "And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil."
    Gen.11:7
    "Let us go down, and there confound their language."
    Ex.12:12
    "And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment."
    Note: If the Jewish war god was referring to idols, would he execute judgment on idols?
    Ex.15:11
    "Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?"
    Note: If they were idols and not gods, why not just call them idols?
    Ex.18:11
    "Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods."
    Ex.22:28
    "Thou shalt not revile the gods."
    1 Sam.6:5
    "Ye shall give glory unto the God of Israel: peradventure he will lighten his hand from off you, and from off your gods."
    1 Sam.28:13
    "And the king said unto her, Be not afraid: for what sawest thou? And the woman said unto Saul, I saw gods ascending out of the earth.
    Ps.82:1
    "God standeth in the congregation of the mighty, he judgeth among the gods."
    Ps.82:6
    "I have said, Ye are gods."
    Ps.96:4
    "For the Lord ... is to be feared above all gods."
    Ps.97:7
    "Worship him, all ye gods."
    Note: Can idols worship?
    Ps.136:2
    "O give thanks unto the God of gods."
    Mic.4:5
    "For all people will walk every one in the name of his god."
    Zeph.2:11
    "The Lord will be terrible to them: for he will famish all the gods of the earth."
    Note: Can idols be famished? In order to famish someone, that someone must have had the ability to eat in the first place
    Jn.10:33-34
    "The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?"

Also check your note on the NWT (Yuck) for Gen. 1:1. Elohim means godS (plural). Not god. This word "Elohim" is used over 2000 times in the bible and translated as god, not gods.

JRP

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit