Great Michael Crichton quote on changing beliefs

by AlmostAtheist 8 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I just finished "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. It's his usual mix of great story-telling, did-he-really-die suspense, and his take on science. Very readable and enjoyable. Popular Science has an article about the book, it doesn't sound like it's going to be favorable. I haven't read it yet, but now that I'm done, I will.

At the end of the book he presents a bulleted list of his views that shaped the book. This one nicely summarizes how I feel about JW's that have been exposed to the UN scandal, proof of doctrinal error, false prophecies, etc:

I have more respect for people who change their views after acquiring new information than for those who cling to views they held thirty years ago. The world changes. Ideologues and zealots don't.

That about pegs it, doesn't it? If you were in "the truth" because you were exposed to information that you believed, you would likely leave it when given new information. If however you were simply a zealot that attached yourself to a cause, you would cling to it in the face of any new information.

May we never be zealots again. Let us band together, and fight, fight, fight against zealotry! Let us never waver from our firm stand against... oh wait, yeah. Never mind.

Anyway, great quote. Enjoy.

Dave

• Terry
    Terry

Having a mechanism for change is the first step.

That requires a way of receiving information contrary to what is policy.

Usually this is the duty of the Loyal Opposition.

In our democratic form of government we have the checks and balances of advise and consent. Debate. Vote. Rebuttal. A process is in place to chip away the barnacles of misinformation that attach to the hull of fixed opinion.

The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witness will not tolerate a Loyal Opposition!

It presents itself as the waters of life. Instead, it is a stagnant pond of festering mosquito pollution.

LIFE IS CHANGE.

If opinion does not mirror life it betrays reality.

Terry

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Almost,

If you liked "State of Fear" you'll really like Crichton's insights in his autobiography "Travels." Really enjoyable. He delved a lot into spirituality and mysticism and describes his experiences and insights from having done so.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I would also recommend "Travels". It's an excellent book.
    Which reminds me, I need to return your copy, Jerry - LOL

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Thanks for sharing almost ... it is a very good quote. I can't imagine living the rest of my life in that fog of false belief - or any other false belief system. Theres a great mag out there called ode ... it is very enlightening. It talks about issues all over the world, how we can be better people and how we can help impoverished countries. One issue talked about how much better off we'd be if there were no religion in the world. Check it out:

http://www.odemagazine.com/article.php?aID=4031

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> If you liked "State of Fear" you'll really like
    >> Crichton's insights in his autobiography "Travels."

I *have* that book, but I've never read it. I think the non-fiction aspect of it turned me off, as dumb as that sounds. But based on both of your recommendations, I'll get started on it.

Thanks!

Dave

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

Sweet Tea: WoW! That was an amazing article. I bookmarked and will undoubtedly refer to it often. Thank you very much!!

My dh just got done with State of Fear. He said the same thing about it. He really enjoyed it, but felt it moved to slow through the middle.

• Flash
    Flash
    That about pegs it, doesn't it?

LOL Yes it does!

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Anyway, great quote.

It truly is. Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit