They saw a ghost

by hamsterbait 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

As a youngster with the original Green NWT I could never reconcile how the WTS could print in a NT verse "They thought they had seen a ghost!" when they were adamant such did not exist.

Does anyone remember that verse (in Acts, I think) I only have later editions where that and others are excised, and now s.o. is trying to "smokescreen" me with the usual denial card. (Trying to do the same with Heb 1:6)

HB

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Mark 6:49 // Matthew 14:26.

The current NWT says "apparition," which is another acceptable translation of the Greek phantasma.

However the similar use of pneuma "spirit" in Luke 24:37 gives some credit to the translation "ghost" (and the implied belief).

• freedom96
    freedom96

The bible I have been reading, though I forget which version it is, reads "ghost."

I remember reading that just a couple of weeks ago in the non-denominational church I have been attending. I thought it was very interesting.

I have seen a ghost personally, and found this to be quite interesting.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I'm still suspecting that that segment was originally a resurrection appearance story seamed with John 21 which was the lost ending of Mark.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Every time a dub from my last congregation sees me they are seeing a ghost because the WTS said I am spiritually dead.

• hmike
    hmike

HB,

I have that green NWT version in my personal library. It's got a 1953 foreward and it's about 4 inches thick, right?

Sorry to say, I didn't find the word "ghost"--It uses "apparition" and "spirit." Give me a specific verse and I can give you the quote.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute
    Every time a dub from my last congregation sees me they are seeing a ghost because the WTS said I am spiritually dead

heehaaaheeehaaa too funny.

bethel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit