District Convention Parking Arrangements???

by AMNESIAN 4 Replies latest jw friends

• AMNESIAN
    AMNESIAN

At the Long Beach, CA DC this last week, the parking spaces were severely decreased from previous years. A full 45 minutes prior to the start of the Saturday program, the parking lot attendants were turning cars away because the lot was full! Many, many cars that came in just after ours did were turned away! Not surprisingly, once inside the arena, it was clear that the audience was nowhere near capacity, many empty seats in evidence.

I cannot help but think that this development is no mere coincidence inasmuch as the parking "donation" now is, for the first time of which I am aware, truly a donation---the amount of which the Society cannot reliably quantify in advance in order to be assured of coming out in the black.

Anybody better informed than I as to what the financial arrangement was in past years when the $5 "contribution" was collected and there was way more than ample parking? Was the Society possibly paying a certain fee for a generous amount of parking capacity along with the facility fee while collecting [considerably] more in "contributions" than they were being charged? If my guess is correct, the US convention department must have concluded that it'd be preferable this year to have the brothers SOL when it came to having a parking spot at the DC than risk renting sufficient spaces and not receiving enough donations to cover the rental fee and turn a profit.

While I'm on the subject, what is the reason DC parking went to bonafide donation basis this year?

Thanks.

-AMNESIAN

• zev
    zev

this might help explain... http://www.watchtowernews.org/tacomapark.htm

__
    Zev
    The greatest consistancy of the WTBTS is their INconsistancy.

• eby
    eby

I was told that the parking tickets were to be returned at the end of the convention. Anyone know anything about that or the reason for tickets being returned?

eby

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1
    I was told that the parking tickets were to be returned at the end of the convention. Anyone know anything about that or the reason for tickets being returned?

and who said apostates were paranoid obsessed people

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

I just got my hands on photocopies of several recent KMs. The May 2001 issue states:

"At all convention sites where we have secured control of the parking facilities, the spaces will be made available at no charge on a first-come, first=served basis. No parking tickets will be used, but convention badge cards will serve as identification for parking...

...show our appreciation by makig voluntary contributions...

At a few locations, this parking arrangement cannot be fully implemented this year..."

I believe there is more to this than just the money/tax issues. Sounds as if their goal is to "control" the grounds surrounding the actual building, thus allowing them to keep any potential protestors as far away from the attendees as possible. They may be anticipating an increase in protestors in the upcoming years. I wonder why???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit