Do you dream your child's dream??

by morty 8 Replies latest jw friends

• morty
    morty

Do you dream your child?s dream???

I just wanted to share how happy I am that my son just recently made the semi pro soccer team and how humble he was when he was told "you made the team "......

Two months of hard practices and three weeks of try outs, he made the cut.... Out of 74 kids, the team picks got tighter and tigher...It was nerve wracking at times for the kids...I really did feel bad for my son when his buddies did not make the cuts and he did....He is not a "toot my own horn" type of kid..In fact, when he found out that his buddies did not make the team, he went right over to the coach and asked why they did not make the team and if it was possible if the team could take on extra guys.....I was moved by these actions of a sixteen year old young man and he was my son....

He is pumped now that those scouts are now out and about to watch for the next generation of a "Pro Player" ...His ultimate dream ( and mine..) is to play soccer ( football ) in England or Europe for a professional team ....

I have made it very clear that the odds of being a millionaire playing your favorite game are slim to none...I am lucky enough he knows that he needs an education as a back up plan...He has full intentions of going to collage and is really looking forward to going but he still has a dream of making it BIG one day.....

How would you support your child?s dream and get him to maintain his education as well??

Do you as a parent, get tied or wrapped up in your children?s dreams???

• morty
    morty

alrighty,,,,,

• Robdar
    Robdar

Morty,

I don't have enough time to answer the questions you posed, but I did want to congratulate your son on a job well done.

Robyn

• Mulan
    Mulan

This is so cool.

One of our sons was an amazing athlete, and still is at age 38. He is about 6'5" and very quick, and wanted to play Little League everything. I'll never forget a soccer coach calling us when he was about 11 or 12, begging us to let him be on the team, because he was so talented and "our best goalie". They had let him play many times, because he would go to the playfield near our home, and watch, so they invited him to play. Of course we had to say "no". The look on his face will always haunt me.

When he was a Senior in High School, he joined the football team anyway, and because he was of age, there was nothing we could do about it. The school said they didn't need our permission. He had stopped going to meetings and was very rebellious. We went to his games and cheered him on, but his opportunities were lost. (hard to believe, isn't it?) He was also a great basketball player and baseball too. Now he plays softball for a league and coaches kids teams, including one for his own son, who is almost 6.

• morty
    morty
    but I did want to congratulate your son on a job well done.

Thank you Robyn.....

• morty
    morty
    We went to his games and cheered him on, but his opportunities were lost. (hard to believe, isn't it?)

Do you ever wish you could turn back the clock Mulan??

This is why I leave all doors open for my son........

Dream your dream....I never had that opportunity to become the goalie that I wanted to be....

• morty
    morty

btt... because maybe I posted this to early or to late...

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Cheers to you and your son, Morty !!!

My daughter is only 4 but I am trying to prepare myself to be open, accepting, enthusiastic and supportive as her dreams and interests develop. Thanks for providing a lovely example.

~Merry

• morty
    morty
    My daughter is only 4 but I am trying to prepare myself to be open, accepting, enthusiastic and supportive as her dreams and interests develop.

supportive has to be the least word a Jw would use....Actually, I take that back....it would be dreams...

jw's never encourage anyone to follow their dreams....

Your a good mom to be there for your daughter....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit