Genes re-united... and converted

by New Worldly Translation 1 Replies latest jw friends

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

My parents are really into genealogy and looking into their ancestors at the moment. Pretty interesting thing to do you might say. I have a funny feeling their going to turn it into a witnessing opportunity though. By coincidence some long lost relatives from southern England have been researching their genealogy too and they have all met up online. The southern family aren't witnesses of course and I can see it's only a matter of time before the whole JW subject is brought up.

At the moment it's at the point where everyone is just really glad that they have found each other, but hints by my grandma and mother imply that they would like to 'save' this 'worldly' family (and 'count time' when they send emails too no doubt). I think I'm going to keep out of it and not interfere for now as this long lost family will hopefully give the thumbs down to the whole JW thing anyway. I really hope my family don't press the issue as it could turn this new family relationship sour after it's only just started and spoil something that started out as fun.

Anyone else's family ever done something like this? Or turned a pastime into a witnessing opportunity and spoiled it?

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

That's cool that you found some relatives. My grandfather did that about 10 years ago, and we had a huge family reunion in Central Wisconsin (Oshkosh) with like, 300 people. It turned out that one of the 300 was a Witness (actually she was just married into the family). Mom was super excited, so then everyone was happy. (We thought we were the only JWs in the family.)

I can't count the times we've ruined something fun by trying to Witness, but hopefully your newfound relatives will just give a polite "no thanks" and move on with finding cool family tidbits.

GG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit