Ironic placement of the Awake magazine on "True Friends"

by AlmostAtheist 6 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I forget the date, but it was a within-the-past-year Awake that had a series of articles on Making True Friends. I posted about it when I read it because it was so hypocritical. The mag said that true friends appreciate each other's differences, stick by each other thru disagreements, are loyal and supportive. This of course provided by the Shun-You-If-You-Leave-Us people of the Watchtower Publishing House.

The truly ironic part is that this magazine was sent to Gina by a woman that was her best friend. They'd spent tons of time together before we moved to Columbus, and continued to visit each other from time to time. Phone calls pretty often. Gina helped her with her kids during the assembly. Gina had previously told her friend about her doubts regarding the watchtower, which prompted the magazine dump. Nothing definite, just told her she had some doubts and was doing research.

Gina called her friend the other day, but the friend was cold and reserved. "Are you uncomfortable speaking with me?" Gina asked her.

"Yes"

"Would you rather I didn't call anymore?"

"That would probably be best."

They concluded their call and hung up. Gina was less upset by it than I expected, said she was more or less expecting it.

Gina's not DF'd or DA'd, but her "best friend" has decided it is "probably best" if they never speak again. Maybe SHE should have read that Awake magazine...

Dave

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    The mag said that true friends appreciate each other's differences, stick by each other thru disagreements, are loyal and supportive.

.....provided they are both strong in the troof.

Anyone else isn't supposed to matter to them.

• Will Power
    Will Power

Ahhhh, true friends ala watch tower style.

thats how you know you have a true loving family as well....if you don't hear from them cause you're inactive, da'd, df'd, or whatever other situation that might come up LOL - you know that they really love you....cause if they did associate with you, that would show that they didn't care about your salvation - haha again.

yep - true love WT style, the more superficial the better - esp. in a marriage.

AA, your posts are so smart & funny sounds like you & your Gina had a real good thing going.

cheers

• ValiantBoy
    ValiantBoy

That is so ridiculous..but so typical.

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Maybe she should mail the magazine back to her...

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'd love to do that, but I already pitched the lot of 'em. And I think Gina would rather just let it go anyway. This woman always struck me as a smart lady that thought for herself. She of all people I thought would be more accepting. I guess just because you have a brain doesn't mean you aren't brainwashed. <sigh> Dave

• Mary
    Mary

I agree. Make sure it's all underlined though, just so she knows you really did read it.....Witnesses are only allowed to have conditional friendships, not lasting ones. Their friendships are no more real than the ones in Hollywood.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit