Re: 70 weeks of years prophecy: What was the beginning date for that?

by The Leological One 2 Replies latest jw friends

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

All Bible readers who are interested in proving the timing for the Messiah would be familiar with the 70 weeks of years prophecy mentioned in Daniel chapter 9. Are there any discrepancies in the Watchtower's dating of 29 C.E.?

From what I just read out of the Daniel book, the call to restore Jerusalem came out in 455 B.C.E. Is this accurate? What secular evidence do we have for Christ's appearance in 29 C.E.? The disciple Luke mentions in Chapter 3 that the Messiah appeared in the fifteenth year of Tiberius Caesar when Pontius Pilate and Herod were ruling Judea and Galilee, respectively. Is this accurate?

There has been an argument over 607BCE and 539BCE and frankly it makes me question whether the 455BCE date was accurate in fortelling the Messiah. Since the Bible has to harmonize throughout it's pages to be proven true, its prophecies must be accurately predicted.

Curious,

Leo's Wife

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Leo's wife,

I responded to Leo on the other "Daniel's Prophecy" thread.

Briefly, I'd say there is no reason to think that Daniel 9 in its original context has anything to do with Jesus, although the reference to a "cut off Messiah" later led several Church Fathers to take it as a Messianic prophecy in the Christian sense. In Daniel's time this "Messiah", or "Anointed", was most probably the high priest Onias III, who lost his priesthood in 175 BC and was later murdered (cf. 2 Maccabees 4:30-38). And the beginning of the (approximate) 70 weeks is Jeremiah's prophecy (Daniel 9:25).

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

Thank you for posting. I had never been told of any other way to interpret the scripture there in Daniel. This has long since been described as prophecy fortelling when the Messiah would appear. But thank you anyway.

Leo's wife

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit