Answer for Deputy Dog

by JW Ben 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

Ben

You didn't answer the question.

"Why are JWs afraid to give their opinions when asked (about the bible or the org.)?"

If what you say is true. I have many more questions I would like to ask you, if you have the time.

1)When Jesus said in John 6:33: "For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." What exactly came down from heaven?

2)Was Jesus both Man and "Angel"?

D Dog

Time is not on my side at the moment so that is why the delay in answering these question.

1 st , You had asked "Why are JWs afraid to give their opinions when asked (about the bible or the org.)?"

That is an interesting question and one that perplexes a lot of people. It is one reason why some say JW?s minds are controlled by the WTBTS. It certainly might seem that way for those that do not believe the Bible to be the Word of God.

I asked that question to a few JWs and their answer was ?Are we?? as in, are we afraid to give our opinion. It was something they thought was a strange question.

After talking about the matter, we came to the conclusion that, if it appears that way (and from reading many posts here it seems that a lot of ex JWs do think that), it is not because we are afraid of any consequences from the elders or the WTS but because it goes against Bible principles.

The first one that we came up with is a text that I have seen used on this forum at times 1 Corinthians 1:10. Now bear with me as I quote it from other translations

10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment. {foot note- divisions: Gr. schisms} (AV)

10 Now I exhort you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all say the same thing, and that there be not among you divisions; but that ye be perfectly united in the same mind and in the same opinion. (BDY)

10 I appeal to you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree and that there be no dissensions among you, but that you be united in the same mind and the same judgment. (RSV)

Why did Paul write those words? Because the Corinthians were having troubles among themselves as they were associating themselves with different people.

Matthew Henries Comentry says? ? He hints at the origin of these contentions. Pride lay at the bottom, and this made them factious. Only of pride cometh contention, #Pr 13:10. They quarrelled about their ministers. Paul and Apollos were both faithful ministers of Jesus Christ, and helpers of their faith and joy: but those who were disposed to be contentious broke into parties, and set their ministers at the head of their several factions: some cried up Paul, perhaps as the most sublime and spiritual teacher; others cried up Apollos, perhaps as the most eloquent speaker; some Cephas, or Peter, perhaps for the authority of his age, or because he was the apostle of the circumcision; and some were for none of them, but Christ only. So liable are the best things in the world to be corrupted, and the gospel and its institutions, which are at perfect harmony with themselves and one another, to be made the engines of variance, discord, and contention. This is no reproach to our religion, but a very melancholy evidence of the corruption and depravity of human nature. Note, How far will pride carry Christians in opposition to one another! Even so far as to set Christ and his own apostles at variance, and make them rivals and competitors.??..

JWs take particular note of these words (as from the above texts).. ? that ye all speak the same thing,?.. ?that ye all say the same thing??. ?that all of you agree?.

Later in Paul?s letter to the Corinthians chapter 8 Paul tells the Congregation that not every one in their midst has the same level of knowledge. He highlights some Jewish practices that some still held to, and warned those with a greater knowledge not to stumble those that had not developed a more accurate understanding of the words of Jesus. Lets read this from the RSV.

?7 ¶ However, not all possess this knowledge. But some, through being hitherto accustomed to idols, eat food as really offered to an idol; and their conscience, being weak, is defiled. 8 Food will not commend us to God. We are no worse off if we do not eat, and no better off if we do. 9 Only take care lest this liberty of yours somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if any one sees you, a man of knowledge, at table in an idol?s temple, might he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols? 11 And so by your knowledge this weak man is destroyed, the brother for whom Christ died. 12 Thus, sinning against your brethren and wounding their conscience when it is weak, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if food is a cause of my brother?s falling, I will never eat meat, lest I cause my brother to fall.?

JWs recognize that in a congregation, there are people of different levels of understanding, and so as not to affect the conscience of some, they refrain from saying something that might accidentally stumble a ?weak man?.

This principle is very broad, and applies to every one in the Cong. from the GB. to traveling Elders and local elders, to the every day JW. We recognize that each one is responsible before God .

Unfortunately, it is a matter of fact that many from the GB to the every day JW do and say things to upset the conscience of others. Also fortunately it is not our place to judge others, but Gods. But each JW should be aware of the words at Luke 17: 1 ?Then said he unto the disciples, It is impossible but that offences will come: but woe unto him, through whom they come! 2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.? (AV).

Paul to the Romans said ?10 But thou, why judgest thou thy brother? or again, thou, why dost thou make little of thy brother? for we shall all be placed before the judgment-seat of God. 11 For it is written, *I* live, saith the Lord, that to me shall bow every knee, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then each of us shall give an account concerning himself to God. 13 Let us no longer therefore judge one another; but judge ye this rather, not to put a stumbling-block or a fall-trap before his brother.? (DBY) Rom 14:10-13

From the NWT this verse reads ?10 But why do you judge your brother? Or why do you also look down on your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God; 11 for it is written: ??As I live,? says Jehovah, ?to me every knee will bend down, and every tongue will make open acknowledgment to God.?? 12 So, then, each of us will render an account for himself to God.

13 Therefore let us not be judging one another any longer, but rather make this YOUR decision, not to put before a brother a stumbling block or a cause for tripping .?

This happened in the first century. Some were stumbled because others tried to teach what they should not have done. See this example at 2 Timothy 2:17-18 ? And their message will spread like cancer. Hymenaeus and Philetus are of this sort, 18 who have strayed concerning the truth, saying that the resurrection is already past; and they overthrow the faith of some.? (NKJV) compare the RSV ?17 and their talk will eat its way like gangrene. Among them are Hymenaeus and Philetus, 18 who have swerved from the truth by holding that the resurrection is past already. They are upsetting the faith of some.?

Hymenaeus and Philetus were teaching others something different about the resurrection and it had a detrimental effect on the faith of some.

Then Paul writes to Titus these words warning of some that were teaching their own thing ? ?11 they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for base gain what they have no right to teach? (RSV). Some were teaching what they had no right to teach and upsetting families. Notice it was the teaching of things contrary to the apostles.

So JWs are careful not to say things that are going to go against the above texts. We do not want to be a stumbling block to someone else. Every one stands accountable to Jehovah for their actions. (From GB to publisher) However, that does not stop JWs from having opinions. When discussing things that we do not agree with do not understand we do so in a way that will not stumble someone. I have been a party to many such discussions. We do not turn around and try to subvert the conscience of others with our own thoughts. Our discussions have been in the context of a friendly discussion not one of trying to teach others something different. So generally, we are careful as to what we say so as not to wreck the faith of others. It is not a mind control technique to keep us in line by the ?bosses?, but, a desire on our part not to go against the word of God. If people can not accept that I have to ask how much of the Bible do they take note of ?

1)When Jesus said in John 6:33: "For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." What exactly came down from heaven?

The answer to this question is tied to the answer of your next question

2)Was Jesus both Man and "Angel"?

So both questions are answered here together

John 6:51 helps us to answer this ?51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.?.

Jesus is the ?bread of God?. In what sense was he the bread of God? Just as literal bread is food to sustain is, the words and actions of Jesus are a ?spiritual? food that sustains us. By listening to his teachings and exercising faith in the ransom we can be sustained for life beyond this system controlled by Satan.

John 3:13 also tells us that Jesus descended from Heven. The life forces of Jesus were put into the womb of Mary and Jesus was born as a man and only as a man. While he was on earth he was a perfect human. He had to be only a human in order to be the ransom to buy back our right to life. Jesus life had to correspond to the life of Adam - no more ? no less. There are 3 occurrences of the word ransom in the New Testament in the AV. Mat. 20 :28 and Mark 10 : 45. In both these cases the Greek word is ? lutron loo?-tron?. simply meaning ransom.

In the third instance at 1 Timothy 2:6 a different word is used. The AV simply translates this as ransom where as the NWT says corresponding ransom. The Greek word here is ?antilutron antilutron an-til?-oo-tron? . Notice the prefix ?anti?. This has the meanings?

1) over against, opposite to, before

2) for, instead of, in place of (something)

2a) instead of

2b) for

So the life that Jesus gave as a ransom was ?opposite to? or ?instead of? or ?in place of? the life that Adam gave, therefore the rendering in the NWT of ?corresponding ransom.? Jesus life corresponded to that of Adams, in that he was a perfect human with God as his father. Adam was the first of all humans, Jesus was the first of all creation. Jesus was not a God man or an angel while on earth, but a perfect human Son of God that had the power of the Holy Spirit given to him at his baptism to help him establish that he was Gods messenger at that time .

Before coming to earth and after he left the earth, Jesus resided as a Spirit creature in the image of father.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Just a few observations.

Then Paul writes to Titus these words warning of some that were teaching their own thing ? ?11 they must be silenced, since they are upsetting whole families by teaching for base gain what they have no right to teach? (RSV). Some were teaching what they had no right to teach and upsetting families. Notice it was the teaching of things contrary to the apostles.

Wow! Just like the JWs.

John 3:13 also tells us that Jesus descended from Heven. The life forces of Jesus were put into the womb of Mary and Jesus was born as a man and only as a man. While he was on earth he was a perfect human. He had to be only a human in order to be the ransom to buy back our right to life. Jesus life had to correspond to the life of Adam - no more ? no less. There are 3 occurrences of the word ransom in the New Testament in the AV. Mat. 20 :28 and Mark 10 : 45. In both these cases the Greek word is ? lutron loo?-tron?. simply meaning ransom.

Yeah, where does it say that the life force of Jesus was put into Mary? Where does it say that Jesus was born only as a man? (Furthermore, where does it say in the bible that the bible itself is the only rule of faith?).

The early Christian writers believed in a God-man concept, though not as specifically formulated as it has evolved to today. In his Letter to the Ephesians, St. Ignatius of Antioch writes: "For there is one physician, both fleshly and spiritual, born and unborn, God come in flesh, true life in death, from both Mary and God, first subject to suffering and then beyond suffering, Jesus Christ our Lord." (7:2). Note that when referring to Jesus as being God and God, as in father, the article is not used in either case in Ignatian literature, except in a few areas.

St. Clement of Alexandria (Sanday, A. D. 190) speaks of Christ as "true God without any controversy, the equal of the Lord of the whole universe, since He is the Son and the Word is in God" (Cohortatio ad Gentes, c. x; P. G., VIII, 227).
  • Honesty
    Honesty

Sweet and simple... The WTBTS does not preach the Gospel of Christ.

They don't even know who Christ is let alone have the sense to preach about Him.

All of their literature directs people to the visible organisation instead of towards Jesus.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

"Before coming to earth and after he left the earth, Jesus resided as a Spirit creature in the image of the Father."

What happened to the Spirit creature (angel) when the life force of Jesus was transferred to a human? Did the Spirit creature cease to exist? Now, when Jesus the man died, did he become a different spirit creature (angel) than he was before he came to earth?

Did the pre-existing Jesus (the Spirit creature) cease to exist when Jesus became a man? If he did, than the Jesus who goes back to the Father is not the same Jesus who came from the Father. There is no continuity. Someone that was above had to come down below in order to return above.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

I agree with Ben. Christianity was a cult from it's inception. Modern recognition of the potential harm of such institutional control has encouraged new liberal and dignified versions of Christianity that bear little resemblence to the cultish Christianity of Paul. While in no way suggesting that the JW religion accurately portrays any first century form of Christianity, it does retain the early closed system of belief and thought. Our modern society has opened our minds to choices. Some prefer the freedom from choice over the freedom of choice and seek refuge in a high control emvironment with a simple system of reward and punishment.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Ben

You're something! But you got to do better than that.

John 3:13 also tells us that Jesus descended from Heven. The life forces of Jesus were put into the womb of Mary and Jesus was born as a man and only as a man. While he was on earth he was a perfect human. He had to be only a human in order to be the ransom to buy back our right to life. Jesus life had to correspond to the life of Adam - no more ? no less.

You got all that from this?

John 3:13

Moreover, no man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man.

Quite a leap don't you think?

What are life forces?

Is the life force a spirit or soul?

Is Jesus a man with the life forces of an angel?

Wouldn't that make Jesus part angel (life force) and part man (body)?

Looks like a highbred to me.

And please Ben, Don't be afraid to give your opinion.

D DOG

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Ben

Shall I assume by your lack of response there is a lack of "your own opinion"?

D Dog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit