Birthdays?

by jula71 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jula71
    jula71

*** Job 1:4-5 *** 4 And his sons went and held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day; and they sent and invited their three sisters to eat and drink with them. 5 And it would occur that when the banquet days had gone round the circuit, Job would send and sanctify them; and he got up early in the morning and offered up burnt sacrifices according to the number of all of them; for, said Job, ?maybe my sons have sinned and have cursed God in their heart.? That is the way Job would do always.

Call me crazy, but that sounds alot like a birthday. If I remember, Job and his sons were a pretty wholesome bunch. Has any one ever asked an Elder about this?

• kls
    kls

I have read that and reread that scripture and i also come out with the same as you.When confronting my jw husband about that he denies that it's meaning could have anything to do with a holiday or birthday,,,,,,,,DUH

• robhic
    robhic

I sent my JW girlfriend flowers for her birthday this year. It was the first time since she joined up. I had the florist write on the card (for all to see...) "Enjoy YOUR DAY! Job 1:4."

She is homebound due to health problems so I wanted all her JW friends who visit to see the card and its significance. I don't know if they talked about it later but no one (I mean NO one) made any comments one way or the other while there. There was an elder who visited (at least one, maybe two) that didn't say anything, either.

There is one sanctimonious pioneer wench that I was just waiting for her to make some smart-ass, self-righteous comment. Nope.

I think I won this round. Unless they've marked her as bad association or something. So far there have been (seemingly) no repercussions. I've always thought (as do a lot of bible commentary writers) that the Job scripture was most definitely in regard to birthdays.

Robert

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i'm sure that if u approached an elder with that scripture, they'd find some crazed way to explain around it.

<----me asking elder about scripture <-----elder thinking <-----still thinking

"Er...ummm....yes...well...if you take the greek translation for banquet, turn it around and translate that into hebrew...ahhh..uhhh...it means...dog...Yes. Yes....and ummmm...when Job said his own day, he actually meant ahhhhh........durrrrrrr...ummmm........HOW DARE YOU QUESTION THE SOCIETY!!! I''M CALLING A COMMITTEE MEETING RIGHT NOW!!!!

at least that's been my experience.

<3 kitty

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

It could be a birthday, but it could just as easily not be. Birthdays are big in the Western culture, but the first-century Jews (apparently) didn't celebrate them. No record of them being forbidden, but apparently it just wasn't a big deal to them.

Job was an "oriental", I wonder if birthdays were important in their culture.

Incidentally, here's a document that refutes the lines of "reasoning" the Watchtower uses for birthdays: http://thebentinel.com/jw-birthdays.html

Dave

P.S. - Welcome Kitty!

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

I don't see what the wts have against birthdays!!!

There is nothing pagan about it!

Our birthday is all about celebrating our birth if anything i'm sure it would consider to be an honour to god/jehovah

because he created us and he would love to see people gather together in celebration on your special day.

I dare one of you jw's to walk up to an elder and say "happy birthday!" on his b-day!

If the elder asks if your actions are rependant say it would be for a year!

If you get marked its worth it to just see the twisted expression on the elders face! it would be priceless!

To everyone whos b-day is on today 19/4 I would Like to say one thing.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

• Honesty
    Honesty

*** Rbi8 Luke 1:13-14 ***
    13 However, the angel said to him: ?Have no fear, Zech·a·ri'ah, because your supplication has been favorably heard, and your wife Elizabeth will become mother to a son to you, and you are to call his name John. 14 And you will have joy and great gladness, and many will rejoice over his birth;

*** Rbi8 Luke 2:9-11 ***
    10 But the angel said to them: ?Have no fear, for, look! I am declaring to YOU good news of a great joy that all the people will have, 11 because there was born to YOU today a Savior, who is Christ [the] Lord, in David?s city.

Hmmmm.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

<----- happy bd to me!!!

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Pleasuredome - Happy Birthday mate! What are you doing to celebrate?!

• mnb77
    mnb77

sounds like it to me !!!

mnb77

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit