What happened in early 80's and what is significance of 1995?

by love2Bworldly 3 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I have been out of the WTBTS for many years. Can someone enlighten me as to why there was some kind of scandal or something in the early 80's? Also--I have read people alluding to JW's attitudes changing after 1995. What happened in 1995? Also--did they think there was something going to happen in 2000?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

In 1980, Governing Body member Raymond Franz and several other important Bethelites were forced out and later disfellowshipped. You can get the full story in his book Crisis of Conscience. In 1995, the Society eliminated their 1914 Generation teaching (that a literal generation would elapse between 1914 and the end of the system of things), as well as the belief on the separation of the sheep and goats. This was a big thing, because it was the Generation teaching that made it seem that Armageddon was imminent. Without it, there is much less a sense of urgency...as 1914 is now receding into the past as an event that occurred early in the last century. As far as 2000 is concerned, many Witnesses in the 80s informally believed that Armageddon HAD to come by the end of the century. In fact, one Watchtower article even blundered into stating this (the reference was removed in the bound volume).

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

1995 was the year of "New Light"

Dragonlady76

• Dustin
    Dustin

JW's attitudes have always sucked. They have so many dates that are supposed to be significant, yet nothing ever really changes.

1995 was important though. It was the year of my highschool graduation. To bad I was still a JW and didn't have the party to end all parties.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit