how strong is a single citizen's voice?

by doogie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• doogie
    doogie

i just read this and i thought it was hilarious. it was from Time magazine last week. the article was Has TV Gone Too Far:

But though the PTC [Parent's Television Counsel] has a loud voice, just whom they speak for is debatable. Last year, in response to viewer complaints, the FCC levied its largest TV fine ever, $1.2 million, against Fox for an episode of the reality show Married by America, which featured strippers covered in whipped cream. The commission said the broadcast had generated 159 letters of complaint. Jeff Jarvis, a former TV critic who writes the blog BuzzMachine.com filed a Freedom of Information Act request to see the letters. Because of multiple mailings, the letters actually came from just 23 people, 21 of whom used a form.
    In other words, three people composing letters of complaint precipitated a seven-digit fine.

anyway, i just wanted to share that. the article went on to say that some of these watchdog groups offer snippets of "offensive" content on their websites and then links to form letters so that wouldbe offendees have easy access to the inappropriate content (you know, just in case they missed just what it was they were supposed to be offended about) and a means to complain about it. at least no one can deny that the little guy does indeed still have a voice in this country...

• under74
    under74

Yeah I see your point. I know that a single US citizen's voice is only as strong as their wallet and sometimes dumbness....still I don't like to discourage democracy (or the facade of it). I just figure if people (hopefully they are bright) get mad enough maybe someday things will change.

• doogie
    doogie
    still I don't like to discourage democracy (or the facade of it)

me neither. but isn't democracy majority rule? of course i think that individual citizens should be allowed a voice, but that voice's ultimate power should be in direct proportion to how many express it. but like you said, america is a democracy in name only. i just thought this was funny and i'd be pissed if i was Fox.

• under74
    under74

I'm not arguing with you...I with ya.

• doogie
    doogie

cool. i didn't think you were. sometimes my sarcasm doesn't come across quite right in writing.

• under74
    under74

I tend to have the same problem at times : )

• fairchild
    fairchild

I completely agree with under74. A citizen's voice (and not just a US citizen's voice, but any citizen's voice) is strong or weak, depending on how much money can be associated with it.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I don't know. If you complain on the media a lot, you're voice can become very powerful. Just form some group with 'family' in it, and the media will know right aways that you're pissed off (see that Daily Show, where this came from?).

In Canada its even harder, part of the media is owned by the government, the other part of the media is owned by businessmen friendly to the ruling Liberal party.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit