Has 'Global Dimming' underestimated the effects of 'Global Warming'?

by Frog 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Frog
    Frog

http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/content/2005/s1325819.htm

Global Dimming

Reporter: BBC Horizon (see also this URL; http://www.globalissues.org/EnvIssues/GlobalWarming/globaldimming.asp#Whatisglobaldimming)

Broadcast: 21/03/2005

Noticed less sunshine lately? Scientists have discovered that the amount of sunlight reaching the Earth?s surface has been falling over recent decades.

If the climatologists are right, their discovery holds the potential for powerful disruption to life on our planet. Already it may have contributed to many thousands of deaths through drought and famine.

Essentially, the phenomenon called "global dimming" may mean that even the direst predictions about the rate of global warming have been seriously underestimated.

Until recently many scientists had never heard of global dimming. Among those who had, a lot remained sceptical. Now, thanks in part to the work of Australian researchers, the debate is set to edge into public consciousness.

This special report from the BBC?s Horizon program reveals how global dimming was gradually unmasked by isolated groups of scientists across the world ... in Israel, Germany, the US and Australia.

Global dimming is a product of the fossil fuels that cause global warming. It is the result of tiny airborne pieces of soot, ash and sulphur compounds reflecting back the heat of the sun.

By allowing less sunlight to reach the Earth, global dimming is cushioning us from the full impact of global warming, climatologists say. They fear that as we burn coal and oil more cleanly, and dimming is reduced, the full effects of global warming will be unleashed.

The worst-case scenario has temperatures rising by up to 10 degrees by the end of the century ? twice more than previously thought.

Scientists have also linked global dimming to the failure of rains in sub-Saharan Africa ? and the catastrophic droughts that hit Ethiopia in the 1980s. They worry that the same thing will happen again in areas like Asia, home to billions of people.

The overriding concern expressed by climate scientists in this program is that our climate will be radically altered, rendering many parts of the planet uninhabitable - unless concerted action is taken to combat both global dimming and global warming.

"Global Dimming" ? on Four Corners, 8.30pm, Monday 21 March, ABC TV.

• Spook
    Spook

Right on!

• Satanus
    Satanus

I have noticed this. It's those jet contrails. Of course, that is just one influence. On many days, they just sit across the sky and grow. I have noticed that they come together and form clouds that sometimes cover up to half the sky. This often develops during the afternoon to the evening. Then you get enough dirty clouds so you can't even see the sun as it sets. I don't know the percentage, but these jet trail clouds cut out quite a lot of sunshine.

S

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

You know, I just wish these people would make up their damn minds about what is going to kill us first. Global warming, ozone layer, global dimming, ice age, McDonald's Quarter Pounder with cheese. Each group of scientists has a theory. Oh, and can they have several million dollars in research grants, so that they can study this some more, and therefore prevent them from going out to get real jobs?

• Frog
    Frog

Not sure if either of the websites covered it, but the documentary did...from memory the first support the Australian & European Scientists got for their ?pan evaporation rate? studies (which showed large reductions in the rate of evaporation of water on the earths surface believed to be the effect of sunlight being deflected back into space by polluted clouds) came from NY. A NY Scientists of 15years studying jet contrails had his first opportunity to back up his theory after 9/11 when after 3 days all air traffic across NY had ceased, and the temperature rose a whole 1degree.

• Frog
    Frog

True Captain Schmideo, very true...but all the same I think I'll go on continuing to be fascinated by how much information we have on the matter of how we are likly to meet our ends, and yet how relatively peacefully we go about living our lives... only giving the absolutely necessary moments of our time to contemplate our fate as a species...then returning to life as we know it where we feel quietly relieved that we are disempowered to make changes to our destructive behaviours, knowing we can't reverse up and adapt fast enough for the self sufficiency that those changes would require...

• Bas
    Bas

I heard/saw on tellie the same NY scientist claiming that. Thought he was in California though. Anyway, I don't think this "Global dimming" is that significant that it will have a big impact in the future. I think it's still a controversial theory unlike global warming; Global warming is here to stay.

Bas

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit