How Can I Reassure Him?

by misspeaches 9 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I have a friend who has been raised a JDub all his life. He is what you would classify as 'weak' and leading a double life. In fact he has admitted to me that he is gay and had some gay encounters. Despite the fact that he knows I no longer call my self a JW or believe what they do we still remain excellent friends. He would probably go to the Kingdom Hall 3 times a year including the memorial. I give you this background so you can see that he is not all really that gung-ho about the troof. Despite this he has that fear of Armaggedon. and constantly looks for the signs of the end. I have tried to talk to him gently about how the JW's beliefs are not the truth but he doesn't want to hear it. This morning I get a phone call from him because of the Earthquake just above Australia yesterday that measured 8.? on the richter scale. Naturally his immediate conclusion is this is just yet another sign of the end and is freaking out about being killed at Armaggedon. He is so highly intelligent and I wish I knew what I could say to reassure him but I am stumped! What do I do???

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

Show him JWD!

Brooke

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Yah, bring him on the board. Poor guy. Also, tell him the Bible says We know not the day nor the hour, doesn't it???

and Jesus told us Do unto others, that's about all we need to know....that's why they call it The Golden Rule. Don't worry, be happy!

• jula71
    jula71

Ya, bring him to the board, sounds like he's programmed pretty good....but if that's the case him may now want to dig for the truth. Pretty tough spot........

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I've told him that I am reading this board and have posted a couple of times to try and make him interested. But my god did he freak out. He told me that everyone on this site is an apostate. I told him that wasn't true and that they are all ex JW's. And he then goes to me yes - that means they are apostates. At which stage I told him to pull his head in and reminded him I am an ex JW and asked if I was an apostate. So that changed his thinking a bit but still he is not ready to look at anything like JWD. dammit.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

What does he think about the UN deal? Does it impress him that the Watchtower was affiliated with the UN as an NGO, while condemning any JW's that joined the YMCA?

• jula71
    jula71

This is one of the reasons I'm at the point where I hate the organization. We're all apostates because we question and look for answers. Sorry to say there may be no help for him untill he's ready to look for answers himself. That's how I was, terrified of apostates, till I learned the real truth.

• The Leological One
    The Leological One

You can tell him that there are also current, active JW's here, and there are others that have never been JW's, such as myself, that might be married to JW's, just interested in WT-related problems, etc...

Also, it might be worth it to get him to confront the reality that the WT will never accept homosexuals (unless of course some miraculous "new light" emerges. lol) and that he WILL have to face up to that at some point, and he might as well start inspecting whether or not the WT is the "Truth" after all. One way to quickly get him to see some major problems is by getting him to look into all the major false prophecies and predictions the WT has made in the past... all failed (if the links don't work, please copy and past them, and they will work that way!):

http://www.freeminds.org/history/history.htm

See the links in the box to the right dealing with prophecies? Check those out! Also, here's a link to the book, "Millions Now Living Will Never Die," which is where some really interesting links about the 1925 prophecy about the major patriarchs being ressurrected can be found:

http://www.strictlygenteel.co.uk/millions/millions.html

There may be some threads with people that are ex-JWs that are gay on this forum, too, though I wouldn't know how to find them. The search option never works for me. Even if he does look into things and agrees there are problems, then he'd have to face the likelihood of being DF'd and possibly not being able to talk to family and/or friends that are active JW's. I wish the best!

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Its so frustrating I agree... The circular reasoning of the WT is so destructive. I used to not think a bad thing about them but stepping back and examining the whole picture has been very disappointing. However now I am FREE!! And I want my friend to be free as well... Leological I think that your approach may be good. I have always been supportive of his sexuality since he told me. After all that's who he is and its hardly his fault. If I start making him realise he is always unclean in his religons eyes it may make him be more ready to think and look at things. I will take a look at the links you provided and see if I can find some way to reason with him. Yes i have told him that there are active JW's and non JW's posting here as well. But he is scared. As he has been trained to be. My poor friend... :o(

• Carmel
    Carmel

Ask him if the earthquakes in the bible are to be taken literally! Keep peppering him with questions that lead to illogical self-contradictions. Sooner or later he will have to recognize the illogic of literalism when it comes to biblical exegetics.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit