Speculation and the WTBTS

by diamondblue1974 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Who of us can remember the WTS saying from the platform that we should'nt speculate about jehovahs WTS purpose and what he or they intend.

What was this about and why? Can anyone enlighten me here?

• jula71
    jula71

Pretty easy, I you don't speculate, you won't question when it stops making sence.

• blondie
    blondie

Because the right to speculate is a privilege reserved only to the WTS (FDS).

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Wasnt there a scripture about running ahead or something? The real reason was because they don't appreciate our brains being used or doing anything of our own initiative - or maybe that was the scripture - Christ does nothing of his own initiative except that which his father tells him and we should do the same in emulation....

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Jula & Blondie you are spot on, Speculation and Questioning are the same in the WTS eyes.

Crumpet, the scripture (although cant remember where it is) sends shivers down my spine...its the typical one used for stopping people from questioning and taking initiative, again spot on.

Thank you everybody; it was a distant memory and I couldnt for the life of me remember what it was about; it makes sense now doesnt it?

Has this been mentioned since? Ive been away from meetings for over a decade.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

*** be p. 54 Preparing Discourses for the Public ***

Studiously avoid injecting speculation or personal opinion. Even God?s Son, Jesus Christ, avoided speaking of ?his own originality.? (John 14:10) Appreciate that the reason why people come to the meetings of Jehovah?s Witnesses is to hear the Bible discussed. If you have come to be regarded as a fine speaker, likely it is because you make it a practice to draw attention, not to yourself, but to God?s Word. For this, your talks are appreciated.?Phil. 1:10, 11.

speculation?

w01 11/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

In his speech to the Sanhedrin, Stephen said of Abraham: "After his father died, God caused him to change his residence to this land in which you now dwell." (Acts 7:4) This indicates that Jehovah communicated with Abraham in Haran. It is reasonable to believe that on that occasion Jehovah reiterated his covenant with Abraham as reported at Genesis 12:1-3, since the covenant went into effect when Abraham moved into Canaan.

speculation?

w54 11/1 p. 670 Questions from Readers ***

Christ Jesus was a perfect man, and it is reasonable to believe that he was very pleasing in physical appearance. But even more beautiful to behold was his devotion to Jehovah God and to His will. Jesus excelled "in the beauties of holiness."

*** w68 5/1 p. 270 Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time *** 2 With accurate knowledge of Jehovah and his purposes, the Christian rejects the speculations of men.
    I guess they were warning readers to watch out for the most intense sepeculation of men ever seen in a watchtower article starting in paragraph 4.

*** w68 5/1 p. 271 Making Wise Use of the Remaining Time ***

4 According to reliable Bible chronology Adam was created in the year 4026 B.C.E., likely in the autumn of the year AAAhhh what speculation.

, at the end of the sixth day of creation. Then God brought the animals to man to name. Yet, of Adam, Genesis states these words of Jehovah: ?It is not good for the man to continue by himself.? (Gen. 2:18) Adam would realize this lonely condition very quickly AAAhhh what speculation.

, perhaps in just a few days or a few weeks AAAhhh what speculation.

. He would realize he needed another earthling with whom he could communicate, share his experiences, and his life. Nor would his naming the animals take an unduly long time. AAAhhh what speculation. The basic animal kinds could have been relatively quickly named, AAAhhh what speculation.

for when such basic kinds were taken into the ark in Noah?s day, it did not involve millions of beasts, but perhaps only a few hundred basic kinds. Thus, Adam?s naming of the animals and his realizing that he needed a counterpart would have occupied only a brief time after his creation. AAAhhh what speculation. Since it was also Jehovah?s purpose for man to multiply and fill the earth, it is logical that he would create Eve soon after Adam, perhaps just a few weeks AAAhhh what speculation.

or months AAAhhh what speculation. later in the same year, 4026 B.C.E. After her creation, God?s rest day, the seventh period, immediately followed.

This speculation was the whole basis for the 1975 end of the world problem.

• mnb77
    mnb77

In my studies of the old watchtowers, I came across on from 1988, where it directly said not to question what was done and just to do how they instructed. It also told JWs not to read information that is against their teachings. They are also told not to question the elders.

This, I guess, is a way to control the group. When questions aren't asked change can't happen in opposition to the questionable subject madders. I guess that is the way they've survived this long.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

It was after the 1975 fiasco that everyone was reprimanded for 'speculating'. That was also about when the 'elders' or 'servants' as they were then refered to began repeatedly counseling 'the Watchtower never printed that, only if it is printed in their official magazine should we believe these things' !!!!yuck!!!! that's what I remember anyway...

• Flash
    Flash

Control, its all about control. Speculation is a form of critical thinking, discourage critical thinking and make the congregation dependant on you for all their beliefs, views and opinions and you have total control over them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit