Example of bait-and-switch logic.

by Spook 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spook
    Spook

From the Watchtower website article on propaganda:

"However, we do not want to be so narrow that we refuse to consider facts that can improve our thinking. How can we find the right balance? By adopting a standard with which to measure new information. Here a Christian has a source of great wisdom. He has the Bible as a sure guide for his thinking. On the one hand, his mind is open, that is, receptive to new information. He properly weighs such new information against the Bible standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values."

The bait = Claim established for consider facts, importance of standard of judging.

The switch = The bible is a "sure guide"

No proof has been given. It has been a linguistic dance to cheer-lead the way to the bible.

• jula71
    jula71

The bible as a guide for sure thinking? More like the publications as law.

• new light
    new light
    He properly weighs such new information against the Bible standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values."

Anyone that truly lived this way could not become a Witness, as he would see how poorly the WTS understands the bible. How can one be open-minded if the bible is seen as the ultimate source of wisdom. It seems the learning would end right there. More wonderfully deceptive words from our friends in New York.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values."

What they really mean is "his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his WT cult induced values."

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible-based values."

That would be just about everthing the WTS publishes.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I think you've mistaken the bait - it's part of the same bait they always use - "consider facts, importance of standard of judging" is just someone moving the bait - the bait is always the same - "bible" "Jesus" "God" "Paradise" - as is the switch "our ideas"

The bait here is "bible"

The switch is "our literature and self-generated ideas regarding the bible"

• bebu
    bebu

Woowooo! A Paduan is an emperor!

bebu

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Yes, I'm wondering how to control and organise my minions - I suppose I could start with some bait and switch.

• Flash
    Flash

"However, we do not want to be so narrow that we refuse to consider facts that can improve our thinking. How can we find the right balance? By adopting a standard with which to measure new information. Here a Christian has a source of great wisdom. He has the Bible WT Publications as a sure guide for his thinking. On the one hand, his mind is open, that is, receptive to new information. He properly weighs such new information against the Bible WTS standard and fits what is true into his pattern of thinking. On the other hand, his mind sees the danger of information that is entirely inconsistent with his Bible WTS -based values."

There! That's better!

• Spook
    Spook

Aint it the truth. Everyone interested in the organization should read Orwell. Allan F. has some fine comparisions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit